AMD CPU running hot, not overclocked

Mr5o1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Hi all, first post!

I don't know much about cpu bios settings for cpu's, so I'm quite lost. Trying to improve a very old box with some cheap parts, but the CPU is overheating, generally between 50 and 75 degrees celcius. (15 degree ambient temp). I'm not aiming to overclock this machine at all.

The board is a ECS c51gm-M V1.0 .

I bought a AMD Athlon X2 64 5000+ for $20 off ebay.

In BIOS I set NPT Fid Conrol to 13 x 200. I haven't changed any other settings. The BIOS is reporting the following:

• ■ CPU Vcore is listed as 1.34v
    ■ VDIMM is 1.82V
    ■ CPU Freq is 200
    ■ System temp is 32 degrees celcius
    ■ cpu temp reported fluctuates between 50 and 75 deg c, while just displaying the "PC Health Status" page in BIOS

Some things I should mention:

• ■ The Case, Fan, and Heatsink are immaculate. No dust.
    ■ Stock Heatsink & Fan
    ■ It is a second hand CPU
    ■ I cleaned the old thermal paste off the heatsink and cpu thoroughly.
    ■ I applied new thermal paste when I installed the CPU.
    ■ I've never installed a cpu on a mobo before (ok.. maybe one time before)
    ■ I haven't installed an OS yet, so haven't gone past BIOS
    ■ ambient temp is maybe 15 degrees c

So, I'm pretty lost, was hoping to get an OS installed on this machine today but this is a real snag. Thanks in advance for reading and for your advice.

Mr5o1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

I guess that's always possible. I have reseated heatsinks a few times, to be honest there doesn't seem to be that much to it. I cleaned the old paste off, applied new paste, and made sure the heatsink has a good firm fit - it doesn't wiggle at all.

I'll reseat it again just to be sure..but I don't think this is the problem.

edit: reseated.. no change.

Mr5o1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

Nope, I have no idea at all. I did read somewhere that this CPU can run stably at voltages as low as 1.250 I'd assumed that the listed voltages were some kind of acceptable range.

Mr5o1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Just thought I'd post where I ended up with this. Unfortunately I couldn't find a concrete answer or solution.

Basically there's numerous reports of the AMD 65nm Brisbane Core having 'broken' temperature sensors, but AMD never officially confirmed it. Just google "DTS Brisbane broken" or something.

So, sadly, my solution was to simply disable the temperature warning in BIOS, but I left the temperature shutdown feature enabled, but set it to 80 degrees celsius. This approach is probably far too risky for some, but for me I decided that it wasn't worth any more time investigating, and it's fairly old hardware anyway.. so if it did overheat and die I'd just have to buy new hardware.

The next problem was that because the temperature readings were fluctuating by up to 20 degrees each poll, the automatic fan speed adjustments meant that the fan was constantly throttling up and down. Not a huge problem but would quite possibly be annoying as all hell. So I just set it to a constant 80% of maximum. via the PWM setting and disabled the slope setting.

I'll admit I was too lazy to stress test the cpu, but the PC has gone through most daily use case scenarios and hasn't triggered the overheat shutdown.