AMD CPU Running hot when idle

Gabe Zimbric

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Hello, so I recently built my first pc build (parts can be found here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/scFTD3) and after about 3 weeks with i've noticed that the cpu (AMD Athlon X4 760K) runs hot around 60-75 C when idle. When gaming its sometimes peaks around 85 C at times, but otherwise it jumps back down to 75-80 C. I've read other threads saying that the cpu runs hot but I dont like to run the fan around 90 percent just to keep it in the 60s. I'm also looking into getting a aftermarket cooler, so if anyone has any suggestions for one i'd be happy to look into it.

Solution
I would advise challenging the readings that "speccy" is giving you with another "opinion."

Download AMD overdrive software and check thermal margins. A reading of "0 thermal margin" should correlate to a 70C core temp reading in properly calibrated hardware monitoring software.

Trinity and Richland are supposed to hit critical/shutdown at 80C on a properly calibrated scale. The fact that you are getting 85C readings with the computer still ON tells me that the software is wrong.

mdocod

Distinguished
What software are you using to monitor these temps?
Are you sure you are observing AMD core temps derived from thermal margin and not some other temp reading? (motherboard socket or VRM temps?)

It's entirely possible that your core temps are indeed way too high. Cheap MSI FM2 boards are known for running way more voltage than they are supposed to on the CPU, with no option to adjust it down.

Gabe Zimbric

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

Yes, there was thermal paste on the stock cooler, I made sure that It fully covered thr CPU. The avg temp of my house is around 68 F and I have the Corsair SPEC-01 case.

Gabe Zimbric

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

I use Speccy x64 Profession Edition. If you mean that I might be reading the temp from the wrong area, i'm pretty sure i'm not.

mdocod

Distinguished
I would advise challenging the readings that "speccy" is giving you with another "opinion."

Download AMD overdrive software and check thermal margins. A reading of "0 thermal margin" should correlate to a 70C core temp reading in properly calibrated hardware monitoring software.

Trinity and Richland are supposed to hit critical/shutdown at 80C on a properly calibrated scale. The fact that you are getting 85C readings with the computer still ON tells me that the software is wrong.

Solution

Gabe Zimbric

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

Comparing Speecy and Overdrive, it looks like Speccy is been giving me inaccurate readings
AeE7pNU.png

Gabe Zimbric

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

Whoops, lol. So does that mean Speccy is correct? Or is the thermal margin okay?

Update: I misread your post, which is some thing I regularly do lol. But yeah.....gotta love Speecy and its inaccurate readings :D