AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 437 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmanick

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Wow, I think you used my fx6300 and HD7800 results! Thanks!

I am running Win 8.1, 1600 ddr3, Asus m5a97 Evo Rev 1. 1 single 500 gb HDD, Seidon 120 water cooler.

I will note, that I shut nothing down. I have all background tasks running.

The Integer performance increase vs the a8 is incredible.

Looking through tom's Kaveri benchmarks, it seems AMD hasn't finish the opencl drivers for kaveri or something because the 7850k performs worse than the 6800k most of the time in opencl. I don't think that is supposed to happen.

lithium6

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Technical people! Do you think it would still be feasible for AMD to release SOI Steamroller at a later date? If GF ever gets it done. If Excavator will be at 22nm I think that Carrizo will be bulk, too.

amd had 4ch imc, gddr5 support
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?s=4d41d98a4036dc5677b74e0edf6023c4&t=61528&page=46

TSMC Begins Volume Production of Chips Using 20nm Process Technology.
TSMC Initiates High-Volume 20nm Production
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20140116220015_TSMC_Begins_Volume_Production_of_Chips_Using_20nm_Process_Technology.html

AMD Served a Class Action Lawsuit over Alleged Securities Fraud
http://www.techpowerup.com/196941/amd-served-a-class-action-lawsuit-over-alleged-securities-fraud.html

DigiTimes: Memory prices will keep rising this year
http://techreport.com/news/25928/digitimes-memory-prices-will-keep-rising-this-year

i guess it will happen because glofo failed to optimize soi nodes for higher density gpus.

Rum

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

lol that lawsuit will never stick, the stock market is a gamble and these guys are just butt hurt because they came out on the losing end of things!

Corporations have very strict reporting requirements. if they said to their shareholders that Llano was selling well, when they knew it wasn't, then yes, AMD could easily be on the hook for a couple hundred million.

jdwii

Splendid

Actually that is funny in a way

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
now that we have a steam roller performance mark, could anyone see what an 4m/8thread HPDT version would do?
i am betting on multi-threading being almost murderous.

Rum

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

The complaint alleges that during the Class Period, defendants made false and misleading statements about the Company's business and prospects.

This to me smells like a he said she said kind of situation, unless they can prove that AMD intentionally withheld information and fraudulently fudged the numbers to make the investment look like something it was not then this case is dead. AMD may have a piss poor PR department that hyped Piledriver at the time but I highly doubt the directors would be dumb enough to commit fraud hoping their investors wouldn't find out. All an investor had to do was use a little bit of common sense and Google to find out that AMD was a high risk venture and you would have to be in it for the long haul to gain any kind of profit... -_-
Why was this case not filed sooner? Why is it only 2 people instead of hundreds? You figure if they were misleading everyone and committing Fraud there would be more on board.
Besides this is the same firm jack wads that sued EA over BF4, I would take their credibility with a grain of salt... lol...
But yes you are right if this does come down on AMD it would be a chunk of money owed.

My opinion is that it is okay but dependent on usage, for a certain class user it can be a good product but overall its what was expected. What is trite now is that Bulldozer architecture while benefiting one aspect pays the price in another which is not beyond the point of expecting miracles until after excavator comes and goes and AMD redesigns its core architecture.

Kavari's promise is strangled by its inherent Achilles heel. If I took a 4770K and fused it with the 7800 iGPU you would probably see performance almost double what they are producing now on the Bulldozer core.

My expectation of Excavator is evolutionary and not revolutionary because the limitation will be the architecture. After that I think AMD would have learned a few lessons, one is don't commit to extended architecture road-maps, AMD is in the predicament where scrapping Bulldozer will cost more than if the replacement architecture was radical. So basically AMD are committed to rolling out the evolution until excavator comes and goes. The other aspect is that trying to reinvent the wheel is not always greener, the bulldozer arch serves a purpose in some areas but overall is to overly crippled by current standard requirements. Right now I just want Excavator to come and go so I can put some expectation into something that won't be the same all over again.

Excavator will be the end of the bulldozer architecture and it will be a case of barely better than stars what is safe to say is, whatever comes after will be nothing like Bulldozer

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I think it would be quite good but AMD has shifted focus to HSA so we're unlikely to ever see one.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
"Kaveri review : Tested 13 recent games, vs Intel Iris Pro / Hybrid CF included"

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/kaveri-review-tested-13-recent-games-vs-intel-iris-pro-hybrid-cf-included.196944/

Master-flaw

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Basically it...Not much you can do bout' them "hypeing" the product. As long as AMD can find some way shape or form to justify the information given then they are all set. "Mis-leading" information is extremely hard to prove.

Basically these two feel screwed in a gamble and want to brand AMD...Unless AMD settles with them to preserve public image then they won't get a dime. With only two people, that seems highly unlikely.

And that CF is with alpha drivers, right? Or at least, no official support for Hybrid CF.

Given Toms videos and numbers are in line with that review, looks like Kaveri might have a great spot with discrete graphics using GCN (should be scalable). Also, first review comparing the A8 3870K against Kaveri... It is a HUGE upgrade from Llano alright.

Cheers!

Ags1

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Maybe that is why the mobile chips are delayed - maybe they are getting quad channel and it takes a bit longer to get ready? :)

lack of competition will get this. unless amd can prove it's freesync as a viable alternative, gsync will keep g-ouging for moniez. it's more formidable then i thought it could be. new vr tech, nvidia's better frame-pacing and multi-gpu support, isv relationship and g-sync can make a powerful combination. imagine a syncing tech can do for occulus rift. before 'rift, gsync can crawl into the new 1440p1600p/4k TN monitors with high refresh rates.
if amd doesn't push forward with freesync, it'll go the way of hd3d and let nvidia prevail (and gouge).

Eh, lets see what happens when it gets integrated into the monitors themselves. The FGPA component probably costs ~$20ish to produce, and figuring bulk pricing, I can't imagine any real impact on prices going forward.

Ags1

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Well, it's a big step up in integer performance:

11999997855_e00af72abd_o.png

Although the graphics tests are way out - my benchmark rates Llano = Kaveri. Maybe it is a driver issue, maybe my GPU tests are bust.

UnrelatedTopic

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
Amd releasing 16 core CPUS? http://wccftech.com/amd-documents-describe-16-core-processor/

Unlike 16 core opterons which are MCMs this new cpu is supposedly a "true" 16 core and not an MCM

Does this mean amd will release a 16 core vishera?

Status
Not open for further replies.