Question "AMD Cpus lose performance during the time" Myth or Truth?

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Hi , I've heard the title from many local store owners yesterday when i went to buy a laptop with AMD cpu and i was shocked!
Then I decided to see how much is the value of my current pc's cpu which is Ryzen 3400g and no store was willing to buy it! they said we don't buy ryzen cpus cuz there are not many customers for it!

So, it got me thinking and i'm here to know the truth.

And also i wanna use your help to decide which cpu is better for laptop, i found 3 different laptops with everything being the same but the cpu (they don't have gpu, only igpu):A. Intel i5 8350u ,B. intel i7 7820hq, C. ryzen 3500u ; usage: surfing internet when about 10 -11 tabs + Telegram open and switching between them + a little gaming like Valorant , just a little lol

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
The CPU in your system will "lose performance"?
How, exactly?

Or an older CPU in comparison to newer?

Need some context on what they mean.
they said "Buy laptop with intel cpu, why are u looking for amd cpu ?" i said cuz it has better igpu and the they said AMD loses performance during the time compared to intel cpus

The only reason I can think of why "nobody" buys an AMD CPU is because they're not familiar with computers, they just see them as a tool, and Intel cemented itself as a household name. Plus the whole "first company that does well" bias, that is the tendency to buy from the same company if you were satisfied with it before.

Anyway, CPUs, regardless of who made them, can degrade in performance over time, but that usually requires someone pushing them hard and for extended periods of time. And even then, all that really means is they start becoming unreliable at their top clock speeds. You just dial it back a little and they're fine.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
So the reason they said it, maybe, was that the income of AMD cpus to my country has decreased (maybe) and they have many laptops with intel cpu compared to amd ones so they want to sell their stuff lol
thanks for the help
And also i wanna use your help to decide which cpu is better for laptop, i found 3 different laptops with everything being the same but the cpu (they don't have gpu, only igpu):A. Intel i5 8350u ,B. intel i7 7820hq, C. ryzen 3500u ; usage: surfing internet when about 10 -11 tabs + Telegram open and switching between them + a little gaming like Valorant , just a little lol
can someone help me with my second question?

So the reason they said it, maybe, was that the income of AMD cpus to my country has decreased (maybe) and they have many laptops with intel cpu compared to amd ones so they want to sell their stuff lol
thanks for the help

can someone help me with my second question?
It's a complete myth. Whoever told you that is lying to you. I don't know why but I would guess that it's because they're making more profit on whatever Intel-based craptop that he's trying to push on you. For what you said that you want to do, ANY craptop would be fine.

You're right about the AMD IGPs though. They're the reason that all of my craptops have been AMD-based. Even back when their CPU-side was weaker than Intel's, their GPU side was always stronger. It meant that I could run games that the Intel-based craptops couldn't but there wasn't anything that Intel-based craptops could do that AMD-based craptops couldn't. The AMD craptops were just slower. AMD-based craptops are no longer slower on the CPU side but Intel IGPs would still be an albatross around your neck.

I actually did a post 13 years ago that talked about craptops. The tech is of course all different but the concepts have remained the same. I did the post when I was in university and Tom's Hardware kept it around in Tom's Guide. It's pretty cool that it's still on there because it has been so very long:

Tom's Guide: General Laptop Advice from an Old Pro

If I were you, I would never go back to whoever that was who told you that. I do not trust anyone who lies to me and I do not do business with anyone who has proven themselves untrustworthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: troyer1234567

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
It's a complete myth. Whoever told you that is lying to you. I don't know why but I would guess that it's because they're making more profit on whatever Intel-based craptop that he's trying to push on you. For what you said that you want to do, ANY craptop would be fine.

You're right about the AMD IGPs though. They're the reason that all of my craptops have been AMD-based. Even back when their CPU-side was weaker than Intel's, their GPU side was always stronger. It meant that I could run games that the Intel-based craptops couldn't but there wasn't anything that Intel-based craptops could do that AMD-based craptops couldn't. The AMD craptops were just slower. AMD-based craptops are no longer slower on the CPU side but Intel IGPs would still be an albatross around your neck.

I actually did a post 13 years ago that talked about craptops. The tech is of course all different but the concepts have remained the same. I did the post when I was in university and Tom's Hardware kept it around in Tom's Guide. It's pretty cool that it's still on there because it has been so very long:

Tom's Guide: General Laptop Advice from an Old Pro

If I were you, I would never go back to whoever that was who told you that. I do not trust anyone who lies to me and I do not do business with anyone who has proven themselves untrustworthy.
thanks man

so you recommend Ryzen 3500u over i5 8350u and i7 7820hq right?

Hi , I've heard the title from many local store owners yesterday when i went to buy a laptop with AMD cpu and i was shocked!
Then I decided to see how much is the value of my current pc's cpu which is Ryzen 3400g and no store was willing to buy it! they said we don't buy ryzen cpus cuz there are not many customers for it!

So, it got me thinking and i'm here to know the truth.

I would find another store to do business with if possible. The people at the place evidently have no idea what they are talking about.

thanks man

so you recommend Ryzen 3500u over i5 8350u and i7 7820hq right?
Absolutely. My own ASUS Vivobook has an R5-3500U, it's only a 4-core 8-thread but for a craptop that's more than enough and it's fast as hell with Windows 10.

It's like you say, the Vega 8 IGP is FAR better than ANYTHING that Intel brings to the table so if the Intel-based machines don't have a mobile discrete Radeon or GeForce card, avoid them if graphics are the least bit important to you (like for gaming).

3500U is 12-25watt CPU, not a great choice, but better than 8350u and weaker than 7820hq
I don't know what you're talking about. The R5-3500U is an absolute STANDOUT when comparing those three processors. Like, it's not even close!

According to CPUBenchmark.net, the performance difference between the i7-7820HQ and R5-3500U is less than 2%. I don't call that weaker, I call that tied. Also, as you can see in the link that I posted there, the i7-7820HQ (45W) uses literally triple the amount of electricity that is used by the R5-3500U (15W). The i5-8350U uses about the same amount of electricity as the R5-3500U but it's also about 10% slower.

So, not only is the R5-3500U the APU to get based on CPU performance and power usage, but there's absolutely no comparison when it comes to GPU performance. According to notebookcheck.net:

Intel UHD Graphics 620 (I5-8350U):
Ice Storm Score: 88746
Cloud Gate Score: 9324
3DMark11 GPU Score: 1744
Fire Strike Score: 1168
Time Spy Score: 380

Intel HD Graphics 630 (i7-7820HQ):
Ice Storm Score: 101178
Cloud Gate Score: 9715
3DMark11 GPU Score: 1729
Fire Strike Score: 1067
Time Spy Score: 368

Radeon RX Vega 8 (R5-3500U):
Ice Storm Score: 113247
Cloud Gate Score: 157701
3DMark11 GPU Score: 3557
Fire Strike Score: 2381
Time Spy Score: 693

So, not only is the R5-3500U the superior choice on the CPU side because of its performance and efficiency, its IGP is more than twice as powerful as the two Intel IGPs (which are about the same).

I remember researching the R5-3500U when I was in the market for a new craptop. Well, I ended up buying an ASUS Vivobook ‎M570DD-DS55 because I was very impressed with the value that the R5-3500U offered in the mobile space. Intel had nothing that could touch it for the price. It was that good and it's still far more than enough craptop for me. All I did to it was increase the RAM from 8GB to 16GB. It didn't need it but RAM is like VRAM in the way that it just didn't need it yet and I was being proactive.

Reactions: troyer1234567

TRENDING THREADS