News AMD CPUs See Less Than 10% Performance Drop From Revised Spectre-v2 Mitigations

I didn't understand a single word in the article. Did I miss something?
Intel discovered AMD's fix for mitigating Spectre flaws didn't work, so they provided a fix, AMD shipped it out, and another website, Phoronix, tested to see how much of a performance loss it causes as it's expected these mitigations will cause some performance loss.

Unless you're running a data center, any performance loss is minimal on typical user use-cases.

Intel discovered AMD's fix for mitigating Spectre flaws didn't work, so they provided a fix, AMD shipped it out, and another website, Phoronix, tested to see how much of a performance loss it causes as it's expected these mitigations will cause some performance loss.

Unless you're running a data center, any performance loss is minimal on typical user use-cases.
Didn't Intel see a 35% performance loss on the same mitigation?

Didn't Intel see a 35% performance loss on the same mitigation?
Not on the same test, in stress-ng the 5950 lost 54% performance while the 12900k only lost 5.1% in that specific one.
As is normal some tests will have a higher impact on one or the other architecture.
The 35% reduction was for the Core i7-1185G7 and osbench.

9n8WR4nZg5uXHL9W8pJ4RZ-970-80.jpg.webp

uUsRAwf6WzkKHdDWkxtJQH-1920-80.jpg

Reactions: drivinfast247
Apr 1, 2020
The performance difference overall is -1.5%. Nothing that should concern anyone up through the HEDT segment, though it is terrible to lose performance over a security vulnerability that poses no risk. A server setup though where you're talking dozens to hundreds of CPUs, even 1.5% is a problem, even moreso if your system depends on factors which are impacted much more greatly.

embed.php

STbob

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
If you want the best performance turn them off with inspectre. It can cause issues in online FPS games. Risk of getting hacked is super low.