AMD CPUs Used in "Predators" Special Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Pixar used to use AMD processors until the Core-2 line came out. For server farms it just makes sense. You want the biggest bang for your buck, and AMD is pretty darn good in that segment.

I am interested in that Machete movie: "When you hire him to kill the bad guy, make sure YOU aren't the bad guy!". Classic line from that faux trailer.

[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]meanwhile, Nvidia Stock keeps sliding into nothingness... I REALLY wish Nvidia & AMD would team up and compete with the evil blue Intel...[/citation]
What do you think this is? Gang wars?
[citation][nom]luc vr[/nom]Ugh what no Opterons?[/citation]
used its technology to generate the special effects and animations. More specifically, the studio used six-core AMD Opteron processors and ATI FirePro GPUs to get the job done.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
So by the way it sounds they buy new after every movie? Cause I could sure use a cheap server farm. Let me know when they throw them out.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
AMD couldn't have done a better PR campaign for their technology themselves.

However, I am dismayed they are behind the movie "Machete" which seems to be an effort to exploit the Arizona Immigration Bill and launch a race war in this country. A movie about a bunch of Mexican-Americans killing white people and then white people in turn killing Mexicans just doesn't sit well with me. Hollywood always has this sick political agenda no matter whose the actor or what the story line curtails.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
The only thing powering anything, to me, is the artists. Whether you use AMD CPU's and GPU's or Intel and NVIDIA to do it, is kind of pointless at this point in time.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Yeah, I'm not up on any of it, but it'd be nice to know if they have access to the cloud as well and how/if that helped.

G

This just in famous scientist uses HP calculator to derive the general theory of everything, says HP made it possible. No.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]fatskillllet[/nom]This just in famous scientist uses HP calculator to derive the general theory of everything, says HP made it possible. No.[/citation]
Yes because he would have been much better off using his abacus or building his own calculator.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]meanwhile, Nvidia Stock keeps sliding into nothingness... I REALLY wish Nvidia & AMD would team up and compete with the evil blue Intel...[/citation]
are you aware the amd already merged with ati, nvidia's main competitor?

Sihastru

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Yes, they tried Intel CPUs and nVidia cards first, but... oh noes... the lighting was... somewhat off... the scenes were too bright and had a "happy" hint which is a no-no in this dark and scary movie... D'oh!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
what's the big deal here? You use what you are vested in. Whether its AMD/ATI stuff or Intel/Nvidia. Or Canon or Nikon or whatever "system" you have your money sunk into. Don't make this a fanboy fan off.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]However, I am dismayed they are behind the movie "Machete" which seems to be an effort to exploit the Arizona Immigration Bill and launch a race war in this country. A movie about a bunch of Mexican-Americans killing white people and then white people in turn killing Mexicans just doesn't sit well with me. Hollywood always has this sick political agenda no matter whose the actor or what the story line curtails.[/citation]

What the heck are you talking about? Machete is based on the faux movie preview for "Machete" shown between Planet Terror and Death Proof in the Grindhouse double feature Rodriguez released with Quentin Tarantino. And just so you know, the Arizona law is a reaction to the pre-existing border violence, not a cause of it. Pull your head from your ass once in a while to see the real state of the world.

reichscythe

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]However, I am dismayed they are behind the movie "Machete" which seems to be an effort to exploit the Arizona Immigration Bill and launch a race war in this country.[/citation]

Tell me this statement is supposed to be a joke...if not, give me some of whatever you're smokin' 'cause it must be MIGHTY potent!

Status
Not open for further replies.