user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
About 6 months ago, I bought an Athlon II x4 620. Since then, AMD has released its hexa-core CPUs, the 1055t and 1090t BE. Both of these would work in my board. My PC is mainly used for moderate gaming and video editing/transcoding.

My question now is this. If I can sell the Athlon to a friend for ~$70, should I buy one of the 6-core series, or would I see little increase in performance? I'm leaning towards the 1055t, since it is cheaper and I am not planning on overclocking.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

loneninja

Distinguished
If your Athlon II is currently at stock speeds, and your video card is powerful enough, you should see some gains in games due to the higher clock speed/L3 cache of the Phenom II. It won't be significant, but it would be an improvement, the 2 extra cores are about useless for gaming.

Your video editing/transcoding would depend what software your using, I believe most newer software will use all 6 cores.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
mostly older games, I don't think anything made in the last four or five years - one of my favorites is Quake III. My main question was about video editing, I know I don't have a chance of playing any new titles. At some point I plan to get a 5770, or maybe something similar in the 6000 series, when it comes out - there are some newer games I would like to try, but that's not anywhere near the top of my list.

EDIT: All of the games I own are pre-Vista at the moment, but I did just order a 5770, and am looking at several options for games to buy.