[SOLVED] AMD Crimson for HD 5770?

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
I have a Sapphire HD 5770 I can't get to display...tried the crimson version of the AMD software....and tried trick using duel graphics with an ASUS mobo....anyone know of another trick for these pain in the ass GPU series?

Solution
i am more curious to see the effects of crossfire on my specific 3d landscape design program...
SLI/CF works very poorly in most cases without some degree of explicit support for it which usually involves both the software developers and GPU vendor. Unless your software uses multiple GPUs for GPGPU instead of 3D, SLI/CF may very well cause same or worse performance than a single card. Some software simply crashes instead. That, and single GPUs being powerful enough to handle most things today, is why AMD and Nvidia have effectively given up on it.
That card is very old...probably over 10 years old by now. Are sure the card still working? And have you tried using different drivers? To be honest i'm not sure if the card really support AMD crimson drivers or not because support was ceased long ago. Maybe even before amd relesse their crimson drivers.

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
crimson is for the 5000 series and a few other i believe....the way i read it is they made it for these older cards, or made a legacy driver for it? idk maybe im confused but the driver issue with the HD 5000 series and few others seems to be common...theres a few ways ppl claim to of solved it. and no, besides the word of a friend i have no proof the card works...i took it apart to clean and redue the thermal pads, it honestly wasnt that beat up and cleaned up super nice...the 3 lights on top the card light up correctly, fans spin, motherboard recognizes it but when i put an hdmi or dvi xabke on it i get "no signal."
-you know maybe i skipped over the safe mode install, im 99% sure I tried but maybe not with all the combinations of fixes, thanks for the reminder i will make sure my bases are covered.

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
oh really? that sucks ...heard it was "snappy" little card. i was gonna drop it in a basic build to sell or i kinda was thjnking about crosfiring it just to tinker and the cards are a dime a dozen...my main computer has a 8gb rx 480 nothing great but i don't even game much, just 3d designs for landscape so its more card then i need...these old cards are just for other towers im messing with to see different things work

InvalidError

Titan
The HD5700 was decent back in its day, got mine for $160. The main issues I had with it were GPU clocks being stuck at 2D levels when playing a game at the same time as playing videos, AMD discontinuing driver support and frequent artifacting due to 1GB of VRAM not being anywhere near enough for most new-ish games 4-5 years ago.

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
i kinda wanted to mess with crossfire even tho im aware that's its not needed and not as one would think, double power graphics all that...but maybe ill find 2 other cheaper cards ..with the release of the next generation cards im sure i can get a good price ..then when im done ill drop each into a budget build and sell them in some tower...

InvalidError

Titan
i kinda wanted to mess with crossfire even tho im aware that's its not needed and not as one would think
It isn't just "not needed", it (and SLI) flat out don't work properly and never will with 90+% of games. It only ever made sense if you played one of ~10 or so games optimized specifically for it at resolution and detail levels that required it.

Today, a budget build would be better off using an IGP than a HD5770.

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
lol well when i cob together some 150$ budget build, rarely is the hardware up to date and has a solid enough intergrated chipset to dismiss any pcie card...i did mention scraping the hd 5770 and getting 2 different cheap cards to play with since the release of the next gen dropped prices. more in the beginning of the post i mentioned that gaming isn't my primary focus, i do some light gaming yes but i am more curious to see the effects of crossfire on my specific 3d landscape design program...the rendering quality doesn't seem to have a limit as i upgrade hardware... but it does max out my gpu frequently. interested to know if an additional card could A-increase the texture quality and "realism" B- shorten rendering times ( for a full 3d walkthru that posts to youtube sometimes over 30 mins to complete and C-share the load in a way so its less taxing on just 1 gpu. I'm not a IT guy by trade so some of these answers could be obvious to anyone else but im a trial and error type of learner.

InvalidError

Titan
i am more curious to see the effects of crossfire on my specific 3d landscape design program...
SLI/CF works very poorly in most cases without some degree of explicit support for it which usually involves both the software developers and GPU vendor. Unless your software uses multiple GPUs for GPGPU instead of 3D, SLI/CF may very well cause same or worse performance than a single card. Some software simply crashes instead. That, and single GPUs being powerful enough to handle most things today, is why AMD and Nvidia have effectively given up on it.

Solution

Tomme D3

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
yea....that damn Jay and his 2 cents...makes me want to water cool and crossfire everything...he says the same thing tho, "cause he wants too" lol... i would spend 40$ to tinker. a lot of this i just hobby interests. appreciate the feed back and you hit the nail on the head with what you said...sometimes i just need to hear it to give up the idea haha