AMD Crossfire completely vanished from CCC

ganon6

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Hello all,

I've been tooling around with this for quite a while and I've exhausted almost everything I can think of, and so I turn to you guys for help. At some point over the last year (because I never noticed) during an update, the option for AMD crossfire completely vanished off my catalyst.

Now my rig is An Alienware Aurora R4, it came equipped and ready to run right out of the box, which it DID for a very long time. I'll post the specs for it at the bottom of this post. I have duel AMD HD 7900 series cards, connected via crossfire bridge. Crossfire has to be turned on and activated for it to work, and once I had updated my drivers and turned it on, it did just that.

Nothing about my hardware has changed over this time, which leads me to believe this is a software issue. I have reseated my GPUs, updated my GPUS, both cards are detected and up to date in my device manager. However, I only recently noticed while using Afterburner, that only one of my two cards was being used. When I went to check on Crossfire, again the option was no longer there.

I have tried to roll back to an earlier version of CCC with older drivers since I've read that sometimes works, but after uninstalling all AMD software, even using an older package, my drivers still mysteriously update to the most recent iteration... with no Crossfire.

If anyone has encountered this problem before, any advice would be welcome, even if its just how to successfully roll back my display drivers as that may be a temp fix...

All seemingly relevant system specs:
Aurora R4 Alienware
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel core i7-3820 CPU @3.60 ghz
32 gigs ram
GPUS Radeon HD 7900 series (two of them)
Intel X79 chipset
Catalyst version 14.9
Driver pack 14.3

Solution
try this ininstall the drivers then turn off the computer then re install with just one gpu in the pc then after you get them installed turn off the pc and install the second card. And see what happens

ganon6

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
I have actually checked the device manager, both cards are detected AND up to date. Even in the CCC it mentions my second card is linked. I've ordered a brand new crossfire bridge that should be here very soon.. But im almost 90% sure this is a software issue..

http://imgur.com/1PSdZjt

ganon6

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Ok that sounds good, I'll give it a go. No matter what driver package I download, it always ends up back at 14 so Ill just use the most recent drivers. This might take some time for me to pull out the GPU but ill report back with results.

ganon6

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
I actually tried to rollback and install 13.9... but when I do.. it just comes out installed as 14.3 or whatever.. its crazy frustrating.
How did you manage to install it only to 13.9?

ganon6

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Alright so short update, I was going to attempt the beta drivers to see if this fixed the issue. As a last ditch effort before I hit the uninstall all function on the Catalyst loader, I decided to try using the repair option. Right after doing this, Crossfire reappeared in Catalyst options, I tested it, it ran both cards fine- gta5 maxed settings totally perfect.

I then put my computer to sleep mode, and upon reawakening it today, Crossfire was gone again. The repair function now does not bring it back.

ganon6

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
I'm rolling back to 13.9 now, but Im telling you, whenever I try to install the old drivers, my machine somehow installs the most recent ones instead. I'm not sure how to make it stick with the old package aside from what I'm already trying.

TRENDING THREADS