[SOLVED] AMD CrossFireX in 2020+

nick1232

Reputable
Jul 16, 2020
Hello everyone. I want to ask you a question about possible practical application of AMD CrossFireX in 2020+. I understand that these technologies (SLI/Crossfire) are almost dropped by everyone and I should not expect getting a good and widely used support for them. I talk specifically for games at that moment. But what about DirectX 12 and its capability to utilize multiple GPU for the same application? Does AMD CrossFireX give you any benefits in applications which do not specifically support AMD CrossFireX but which were written to use DX 12 API?
I am interested in learning machine learning as well so I hope there is a room for AMD CrossFireX in that field as well, they offer relatively good amount of memory (in AMD CrossFireX mode that could be 32 GB for 2 cards), so I hope they could be a good choice for that task as well. If you have some experience in that field can you tell your opinion about it?

Solution
Amd no longer supports crossfire in any card you would actually want to buy.
The radeon VII is discontinued, and that was the last card, and the best card AMD had that supports Crossfire.

even radeon 7 actually did not support CF. back then it give us the hint they going forward AMD will no longer support CF. the last chip officially supporting CF was Vega 10. even that was kind of spotty. there are several games that have CF support in polaris based GPU but not on vega.

Hello everyone. I want to ask you a question about possible practical application of AMD CrossFireX in 2020+. I understand that these technologies (SLI/Crossfire) are almost dropped by everyone and I should not expect getting a good and widely used...
So I should have named this topic AMD based multiGPU system in 2020 :)
Multi gpu works differently than Crossfire or SLi.

It works in specific applications that support it to gather the power of different cards to do different tasks, that all achieve the same goal.

Say, if you run 4 cards to simulate an animation, while all 4 will do that task, each of them will work on a different part, since working together as 1 unit is what Crossfire wanted to do, and failed to do.

nick1232

Reputable
Jul 16, 2020
Multi gpu works differently than Crossfire or SLi.

It works in specific applications that support it to gather the power of different cards to do different tasks, that all achieve the same goal.

Say, if you run 4 cards to simulate an animation, while all 4 will do that task, each of them will work on a different part, since working together as 1 unit is what Crossfire wanted to do, and failed to do.
As far as I understand CrossFire has to be supported by application as well, their idea was to render even and odd frames by different cards, but it never worked as supposed to. Do DX12 apps fulfill their promises to use multiGPU for a single application? They showed a lot of nice demos back there with good performance, what has become of it?

As far as I understand CrossFire has to be supported by application as well, their idea was to render even and odd frames by different cards, but it never worked as supposed to. Do DX12 apps fulfill their promises to use multiGPU for a single application? They showed a lot of nice demos back there with good performance, what has become of it?
Not sure.
Scaling never was great, and is only degraded as time goes on.

You should google your specific application and see how it specifically scales.

Amd no longer supports crossfire in any card you would actually want to buy.
The radeon VII is discontinued, and that was the last card, and the best card AMD had that supports Crossfire.

even radeon 7 actually did not support CF. back then it give us the hint they going forward AMD will no longer support CF. the last chip officially supporting CF was Vega 10. even that was kind of spotty. there are several games that have CF support in polaris based GPU but not on vega.

Hello everyone. I want to ask you a question about possible practical application of AMD CrossFireX in 2020+. I understand that these technologies (SLI/Crossfire) are almost dropped by everyone and I should not expect getting a good and widely used support for them. I talk specifically for games at that moment. But what about DirectX 12 and its capability to utilize multiple GPU for the same application? Does AMD CrossFireX give you any benefits in applications which do not specifically support AMD CrossFireX but which were written to use DX 12 API?
I am interested in learning machine learning as well so I hope there is a room for AMD CrossFireX in that field as well, they offer relatively good amount of memory (in AMD CrossFireX mode that could be 32 GB for 2 cards), so I hope they could be a good choice for that task as well. If you have some experience in that field can you tell your opinion about it?

CF is officially dead. for DX12 based game that depend entirely on game developer to implement but to my knowledge almost none game developer have interest in it. and even if there are some DX12 game have multi GPU support it was because the DX11 version of the game have CF/SLI support. now that both AMD and nvidia have killed SLI/CF i did not see even one DX12/Vulkan game ever use any form of multi GPU.

as for professional stuff like machine learning in general you did not need any kind of CF or SLI support. in this field developer are more interested to support multi GPU because it might be much easier to implement. for example there are several pro app that can use multi GPU with nvidia CUDA. it did not care what kind of card being mixed together. even GPU with different architecture will work. all it look for is the amount of CUDA cores available and try to speed things up from there.

Solution

there were a lot of theory. but in reality they never move beyond what being applied with crossfire or SLI. at the end of the day what really kills multi GPU is the lack of game developer interest to pursue the tech.