Question AMD DDR5 Expo memory kits available?

Panicpaladin

Prominent
Apr 19, 2021
Wondering with AMD's 7000 series CPU's launching today if there was any DDR5 memory kits available at the moment and actually for sale. Seems like I can find only 32GB kits even when brands have 64GB listed as a thing. G. Skill lists a 2x32GB kit as a part of the Trident Z5 Neo and Flare X5 launch but I can't find any actual listing. Does anyone know if there are any kits available or not? Thanks for any help

Panicpaladin

Prominent
Apr 19, 2021
What do you mean? There are TONS of 64GB DDR5 kits for sale. Everywhere.

These are all 64GB kits, readily available.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#b=ddr5&sort=price&Z=65536002,65536004
Sorry I shoulda clarified I put it in the title but didn't really mention it in the post. I'm asking more specifically about AMD's EXPO kits that are launching alongside the 7000 series CPU's. Corsair only has two on their page and only the 5200 Mhz one is available to buy from their site. What I was referring to before about G. Skill too is that they have a release showing the variety of kits launching but on their site you can only find 32GB kits listed

G. Skill post

Well, unless you just want them so you can say "I have EXPO memory" it's kind of pointless. It is exactly the same thing as what is called XMP, A-XMP, AMP and D.O.C.P. It is simply the onboard profile and pretty much all memory kits have one. So really it is nothing more than a marketing gimmick giving a different name to something that already existed under other names. The names don't make the least bit of difference. All that matters is that the kit be compatible with a given motherboard and that it has an advertised speed and timings which are favorable towards your preferences or requirements.

As far as availability, nothing is EVER available on day one usually. These are generally paper launches for most companies when they announce on a certain date, although the new Ryzen parts are actually in retailers hands right now today so. But as far as the G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo and Flare X5 kits with EXPO profiles, it does not look like they have made it to any retailers pages yet and PCPP does not show any listings for them yet either. I'd give it maybe a week if you MUST have one of these kits as most retailers are probably placing priority on getting the Ryzen parts ramped up before worrying about anything else new. Or, they may simply have not received them yet as there are still abundant delays in a lot of shipping right now, especially from overseas. There have also been several named storms raging in the Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf regions so there might be delays from products coming overseas due to those reasons as well.

Oct 2, 2022
Sorry I shoulda clarified I put it in the title but didn't really mention it in the post. I'm asking more specifically about AMD's EXPO kits that are launching alongside the 7000 series CPU's. Corsair only has two on their page and only the 5200 Mhz one is available to buy from their site. What I was referring to before about G. Skill too is that they have a release showing the variety of kits launching but on their site you can only find 32GB kits listed

G. Skill post

So EXPO is a little different than XMP in that its specifically tuned for AMD CPUs and uses additional timings that are tuned to AMD's CPU architectures. I'm guessing it accounts for the way the fabric and cache setups are for Ryzen. Anyway, will it make all that much of a difference? AMD's marketing says it can, but the real world performance uplift is probably debatably worth it depending on your use case. I've seen in reviews that it matters more for productivity, but can help gaming depending on your hardware.

That being said.... I too am also waiting on 64GB EXPO kits of 2x32GB. Specifically from G.Skill since they seem to have the best timings and with DDR5 on Zen4 it seems latency can be a big deal. At least for productivity/non-gaming tasks anyway. I work with video and motion graphics plus im a freaking nerd with expendable income lol. I actually emailed G.Skill's sales team and they let me know that 64GB 2 dimm kits are still in testing due to the higher capacity and should be out after a few more weeks. I'm guessing we won't see anything until closer to the beginning of November, but fingers crossed that its sooner.

So EXPO is a little different than XMP in that its specifically tuned for AMD CPUs and uses additional timings that are tuned to AMD's CPU architectures.
No it's not. It's absolutely NO different than any G.Skill Neos or Flare X profile, which also were "specifically tuned for AMD", and had XMP profiles. Like I said, XMP, D.O.C.P, A-XMP, AMP and EXPO are all exactly the same thing. A specific kit might be specifically given timings that are intended to maximize performance on a given platform, but that can be done with ANY of these profiles which is why making sure any kit you buy has been 100% validated for a given motherboard model before you buy it is extremely important, AND if you can get good feedback from reviews or users showing additional benefit with the same hardware you intend to run with that kit, even better. After all, we already know that many kits that are supposed to work 100% validated with a given motherboard sometimes will not end up being agreeable with the settings included in the profile even though they board and memory manufacturer say they will.

Aside from that, there is nothing magical about an EXPO profile that makes it any different than these others. It is ONLY a name. Same as ASUS refused to pay Intel for the use of the XMP nomenclature to avoid having to pay licensing fees, this is no different.