News AMD Delays 7040HS 'Phoenix' Laptop CPUs to April

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The company had written in a press release that XDNA would be "the first dedicated artificial intelligence hardware in an x86 processor."
Somewhat misleading, since Intel has included GNA for a couple generations, already. I assume they're using a technicality that GNA (Gaussian Neural Accerelator) is programmable and thus not strictly "hardware".

ChatGPT mut be eating all their AI portion of their chipsets. Lol
I know you're joking, but in case anyone doesn't know: inferencing large language models like ChatGPT require big, multi-GPU server machines (e.g. Nvidia DGX). I know @AndrewFreedman explicitly mentions ChatGPT and DALL-E, but I believe he's taking a wild leap, as these models won't even fit in the amount of RAM supported by modern laptop CPUs.

The XDNA hardware in these laptop processors is aimed at lighter-weight tasks like speech recognition, background removal, and noise reduction (e.g. for video conferencing). Hence, their emphasis on the realtime aspect. While you could do those things with a GPU or even a fast CPU, their hardware block will do them much more efficiently. Efficiency is obviously important in a laptop, so that battery life isn't substantially affected. According to their literature, the accelerator supports up to 4 of these realtime tasks.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS