AMD Delays Battlefield 4 Mantle Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jynxin

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
This isnt surprising considering all the Issues with the game since launch i love this game so i hope it gets fixed and mantle proves to be as good as i hope, im sick of EA rushing there developers just to make money.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Yea they rushed it just to make the christmas deadline in my opinion. I just hope they dont make it like bf3 where almost all the weapons have the same damage and effects short of shot guns.. and the planes fly like cartoon rockets.. lol

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
it didnt really matter when it came to the next gen platforms though because I'm only counting those.. I have not played a playstation 3 or xbox 360 in years... I did pick up a playstation 4 though rocked it out and then passed it on to my nephew who was more than happy to score a ps4.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This has nothing to do with Mantle, and everything to do with Battlefield 4.

If the API were flawed you wouldn't have such a late change of dates, to one so close, since it's a building block, not an end product. If it wasn't working right, it would require the rework of the API, and then you'd have to test the engine and software that uses it. That's not a one month move.

BF4 is a mess right now, and you can't develop for it, because it's a moving target. If you're on the Mantle team, you're testing against release "A". But, they're constantly trying to fix all the issues, so by the time you get it to work on "A", it's no longer what they're sending to customers. It's now got to be tested on a different release, that may or may not break things you already tested for. So you test for that, except when it's ready, that's no longer the release you'll be shipping with, etc... You can't develop for that moving target effectively, until it slows down and stabilizes, and becomes manageable. Otherwise, it's a nightmare, and it never turns out right. They don't want to start the Mantle era with a product that works really poorly because of issues not related to Mantle. And that's what they'd be doing if they don't wait for BF4 to stabilize before trying to throw a Mantle release out there.

What is interesting is that it is an API to allow access directly to the GCN hardware, it is pretty much a emulation path to what it used to be like in games which used to directly access computer hardware instead of calling through APIs.

I just hope it is actually impressive enough to do more than when they did the 64bit patch for Far Cry that added a few more trees and birds at best but performance was the same.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Reason: EA/DICE garbage code... remember EA announced they need to stop all post game development to fix this "the world most buggiest AAA title in the gaming history". This garbage is not only buggy on PC (example: like usual Ubisuck PC port). BF4 is buggy on ALL platforms!! AMD is SMART to delay its Mantle debut before EA/DICE fix this shit first. Otherwise AMD Mantle's reputation will be in jeopardy.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
btw, I really hope AMD will made a similar Mantle patch for ArmA3. I just don't understand why PC FPS player like a FPS game that not support user/community made mods...

Kewlx25

Distinguished

A fully optimized game can be upwards of 10x faster. Probably not 10x the FPS, but a mix of more FPS and more complicated scenes with more stable FPS.

With such a high peak improvement, my guess is a system with AMD's newest GPU arch(R9 290), will probably get 30%+, but there are so many variables and BF4 has been a mess so far.

Best just to wait for benchmarks and periodically check after patches to BF4 and Mantle come out for several months after.

Again I hope it is true and not like the Far Cry 64bit patch. There was so much hype about it that when it came out no one cared.

I can see the benefit of it but honestly to truly take advantage of hardware you need to bypass all APIs. That also in lies the main issue. The reason why apps and most basic drivers can crash without taking down Windows is due to those APIs. Since a game calls through DX for the GPU if it crashes that stops it from crashing the GPU driver and as well Windows.

Another benefit is that it increases compatibility. So long as the OS supports the API, the game will more than likely run. Most every DX9 game will run on XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 and as well any future versions of Windows that supports DX9.

I do hope it can improve performance but I think a better route would be for AMD and NVidia to work with Microsoft to add direct hardware access through DirectX that way it will be more compatible with more hardware and games.

G

If you don't like the quality of games EA puts out, stop buying their games. Plain and simple.

Second, deadlines are necessary in order for a business to function. We don't live in a world where you can take as long as you want in order to finish something. Or as many gamers put it "ship it when ready" not when the deadline comes up. It's no different than your boss saying "I need that report by Friday". You need to get it done by Friday or else.

DragonChase

Honorable
May 22, 2013
If you don't like the quality of games EA puts out, stop buying their games. Plain and simple.

Second, deadlines are necessary in order for a business to function. We don't live in a world where you can take as long as you want in order to finish something. Or as many gamers put it "ship it when ready" not when the deadline comes up. It's no different than your boss saying "I need that report by Friday". You need to get it done by Friday or else.
NOTHING rectifies BTF4.... so atleast we can aggree that its the managements fault. They should have delied, the costs for not delaying and reputation damage to the company are not to bo underestimated.

kke222

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Well I suppose this Mantle API deserves some of the blame for the awful mess that is BF4.

Mantle announced in Sept. --> BF4 released in Oct. --> patches that haven't fixed the performance of the game --> Mantle to be released in Jan.

Just seems to me that AMD paid to elbow their way into BF4, and possibly ruined it along the way.

xerxces

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Another reason I switched to Nvidia. I had so many problems over the years with AMD. Switching to a 760 was the best move I have made in a while. No problems on BF4 here, and that's with every setting turned up in 1080p.

Hashwagon

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Thank god! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the fighter jets look absolutely ridiculous. They're so bad they should remove them from the game.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
ive been purchasing amd cards since the radeon 7200 for max payne... but honestly, gsync/lightboost has me more excited than this. performance increases mean nothing when there's this catastrophic tearing and noticeable ghosting. im waiting for benq xl2420z release to see how it performs with the red team, but i am ready to switch because of these price hikes (im gpu-less)

Status
Not open for further replies.