AMD Desktop Trinity Update: Now With Core i3 And A8-3870K

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not giving you the big stick on this, but one of the reasons AMD dumped things like the Passmark synthetic testing thing, were the benchies run on programs like Excel.

Seems the 'scoring system' would rank a similar Intel CPU 40% higher than an AMD chip, when in reality the actual running time of the test was no more than 6-7%

the_countess

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Trinity/Llano: Budget gamingi3: Office, movies, internet surfing, and other light stuff[/citation]

more like:
trinity: gaming
doesn't matter: office, movies, internet surfing and other light stuff
intel, encoding movie's and... compile code?

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
If you're buying any of these CPU's to use the APU for "gaming" you're wrong. Running games at 1920x1080 on low with everything turned off is not ideal. In a workplace environment I see the AMD's shining. For gaming though, none of these igpu's is going to compare to a low / mid range GPU.

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I'm never impressed with benchmarks comparing Intels integrated graphics Vs. AMD's. It's like taking a rock and trying to drive nails. Sure the rock CAN drive the nails. But that's not what it was made for. Intel has no delusions of competing with APUs in the integrated graphics, yet.
AMD specifically works hard at this. Of course they will come out on top with anything graphics intensive.
Far too many reviews done on this subject and it's a waste of your and my time. Focus on the CPU aspect because we all know AMD wins the APU market.
Now you have done CPU benchmarks comparing CPU only performance between same priced processors, so thank you. But I think we can leave the Integrated GPU benchmark comparisons between Intel and AMD in the "no shit Sherlock" category.

G

No video encoding tests done? That was a very particular set of benchmarks. No PCMarks, CPUBench, or any standard benchmarks. Just very particularly chosen Toms benchmarks. Oh well! I guess if I want to choose a low end CPU and no graphics card to play Skyrim, I'm going with the A10. If I'm not, I guess I go with Intel solutions??? That is about all I could come up with in that review.

G

Hey, let's all apologize for Intel's graphics performance, while applauding an alleged 10% Intel advantage in things like MS Office and Firefox as if it actually makes a difference which brand CPU you use for "normal tasks"... Last time I checked, 99% of computers spend 99% of their time running at 800mhz with 1-3 cores powered down, so how important is 15% CPU performance difference?

ericore

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Ding ding ding, we have a winner: The A8-5500 (Best Value/Best Power)
65W, Inexpensive, Does a Good Job of Playing Skyrim (and much better graphics), supports AES instructions(i3-2100 or pentium brand cpus don't), advanced bit manipulation, AVX 1.1, A lot faster then llano on many applications, just better value then any i3 and ridicules any Pentium processor like g530 when it comes to emulation with dolphin emu. The ideal processor for any build without or without discrete card. Add Radeon 7770 and Samsung 840 pro, and perfection.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Yess! I have been waiting for something like this forever! Look at those frames on 720p! I can't wait till this kind of performance hit the laptops, my next laptop will definitely have an AMD Trinity APU.

drinvis

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Chris Angelini,
Can you please clarify some of my doubts regarding photoshop cs6.
Does all the functions where OpenCL is implemeneted in photoshop cs6 do well on both amd a10 5800k
and intel i3 3220/25.Or does the IGP of trinity has some advantage?
Regardless,I think all the functions where OpenGL is used/implemented I think the
a10 5800k would be better in performance.Please correct me if I am wrong.

drinvis

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Chris Angelini,
Can you please clarify some of my doubts regarding photoshop cs6.
Does all the functions where OpenCL is implemented in photoshop cs6 do well on both amd a10 5800k
and intel i3 3220/25.Or does the IGP of trinity has some advantage?
Regardless of the above,I think all the functions where OpenGL is used/implemented I think the
a10 5800k would be better in performance.Please correct me if I am wrong.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
How can you compare a 3.1 Ghz processor to a 3.8 Ghz Processor? I like seeing some competition from AMD. It took Intel forever to release the ivy bridge i-3's I think the only reason they waited was to see how many people would purchase the more expensive i-5's. This is the kind of thing a company with monopoly power operates.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]ceh4702[/nom]How can you compare a 3.1 Ghz processor to a 3.8 Ghz Processor? I like seeing some competition from AMD. It took Intel forever to release the ivy bridge i-3's I think the only reason they waited was to see how many people would purchase the more expensive i-5's. This is the kind of thing a company with monopoly power operates.[/citation]

It almost always takes a while to get the low-end or lower mid-range of a CPU and graphics card series to market. That's perfectly normal no matter how you look at it.

What's wrong with comparing CPUs that have different clock frequencies? That's one of the few aspects of performance that don't impact fairness of such a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.