News AMD Details 7020 Series Ryzen and Athlon ‘Mendocino’ Mobile APUs

peachpuff

Reputable
Apr 6, 2021
So, applying their new naming scheme...

These would be Zen 2 chips. Remember, the 3rd number is the one to pay attention to.
Yup I knew that would happen, slimey amd.

fejXy4FQ8rLgMQ7uAUWowT-970-80.png

All will use AMD's Zen 2 architecture on a six-nanometer platform ... is promising longer battery life and faster performance than the notebooks on the market today ... Radeon 610M graphics based on RDNA 2

""TSMC claims 18 percent higher logic density on 6nm versus 7nm ""

Nicely done __ Doc Su and team pulls another Rope-A-Dope on the competition.

And then, there is this . . .
Steam Deck Is Speeding Up Production And Shipments
You may be able to get your hands on a Steam Deck earlier than expected.

Valve has announced that it's ahead of schedule on Steam Deck production, speeding through reservations for the handheld PC gaming device. Per its most recent update, all reservations made for the Q3 period have had email invitations sent out, with the company now getting a head start on Q4.

Reactions: artk2219

Giroro

Splendid
Zen 2, yikes.
I completely understand why AMD would want to continue manufacturing old CPUs for legacy support, but what I do not understand is why AMD would waste time/money porting an old architecture to a new manufacturing process. Why not at least port Zen 3 instead?

The best I can figure is that they have specialty customers who are demanding large enough numbers a slightly more efficient Zen2/RDNA 2 APU. So AMD is probably repurposing some development work from an APU for a "PS5 slim" or an "Xbox Series X Slim". Although TSMC 6nm isn't a big enough improvement over 7nm to make a much smaller console.. Maybe we will at least see a PS5 that is smaller than a human child. Alternatively Sony could be making an even bigger-er and more-overpriced-er PS5 Pro Plus Ultra.

Reactions: artk2219

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Why not at least port Zen 3 instead?
They did it, it's called Rembrandt (Ryzen 6000) and it's getting a refresh with Ryzen 7000 apparently. Rembrandt is Zen 3 on 6nm with RDNA2 graphics. The problem in the lower end is that Zen 3 is based on 8 cores CCX parts, which are unlikely to give enough defective parts that can be used for 2 or 4 cores cheap CPU/APU, in fact it's much easier to find a Zen 2 based 5300U (Lucienne) laptop than a Zen 3 based 5400U (Cezanne) one. Basically AMD has designed an architecture, Zen 3, that doesn't scale as well to the lower end as much as its previous architectures (or those of the concurrency), the same is true for Zen 4, thus they will need to recycle a lot of their old stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisecracker

cyrusfox

Distinguished
thus they will need to recycle a lot of their old stuff.
Reusing a design on a smaller node isn't much of a recycle. With the resources(Cash) AMD has now, strange that they don't utilize them to retool/tweak the design to take advantage of the smaller node. When are we going to see AMD's small/efficient core strategy come to market(Google says Zen5)? Those smaller cores would be ideal for this application. I have a zen2 HP laptop, my only complaint is drivers and battery life thanks to poor drivers, thing never properly sleeps and other basic drivers are flakey (Web cam...).

For the low end I would have thought making zen2 on old node would be more appropriate than retooling for smaller node as these are usually very low margin products. Guess it was better for cost (More serviceable die/$ thanks to better die size [Higher yield]).

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Reusing a design on a smaller node isn't much of a recycle.
The jump from 7nm to 6nm doesn't seem to be particularly complex or expensive, on the GPU side they've also done it with low-end/low-margins RX 6500M/6500/6400. In the Ryzen 7000 series they're also going to recycle both Barcelo and Rembrandt, which are going to receive refreshes, maybe because of limited 5nm capacity in this case? I'm not sure, but both were mentioned in the slides published a few weeks ago.

TRENDING THREADS