News AMD Dishes on Ryzen Mobile 'Renoir' 4000 Series: New Ryzen 9 4900H, HS-Series Chips

Why can't we comment directly in articles anymore? Ads broke comments. Ads are so invasive here compared to Anandtech that they broke comments.

4900H 4.4Ghz boost. That should beat any mobile Intel CPU including upcoming 10th gen. I wonder how strong the iGPU is? 1080p medium gaming? If it is, I might buy one for portable gaming and good battery life. I don't like laptop dGPU, I have one and it KILLS the battery.

Umfriend

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
I wonder the same thing (but for the 4900HS).
What I do not understand is this: If the H-CPUs are to be coupled with dGPUs, then why include 8CUs? You would not need any, could well do with just 3?

I do not expect to see top-H-CPUs without dGPUs though, which is to bad.

I wonder the same thing (but for the 4900HS).
What I do not understand is this: If the H-CPUs are to be coupled with dGPUs, then why include 8CUs? You would not need any, could well do with just 3?

I do not expect to see top-H-CPUs without dGPUs though, which is to bad.
You still want the iGPU so that you can power down the dGPU when it isn't needed. Even running something as simple as Windows draws more power on the dGPU than iGPU. Less power draw means you can have a nice Gaming Laptop that can still have battery life.

Umfriend

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
You still want the iGPU so that you can power down the dGPU when it isn't needed. Even running something as simple as Windows draws more power on the dGPU than iGPU. Less power draw means you can have a nice Gaming Laptop that can still have battery life.
I understand that but, surely, simple tasks that do not require a dGPU can be done with fewer CUs? 8CUs should enable some medium gaming but once you game you'd want a dGPU probably. But what if, like me, you want raw CPU and IO but not graphics? The fewer CUs might allow for more cache for instance.

I understand that but, surely, simple tasks that do not require a dGPU can be done with fewer CUs? 8CUs should enable some medium gaming but once you game you'd want a dGPU probably. But what if, like me, you want raw CPU and IO but not graphics? The fewer CUs might allow for more cache for instance.
Just like Intel, the highest end CPUs also get the best iGPUs as these are premium parts. The Ryzen 2200G iGPU is good enough for 900p gaming and the 2400G is good enough for some 1080p low settings, granted these are desktop parts with a 65W TDP. If the new mobile series iGPU with extra bandwidth might be able to push that to 1080p low across the board or do well for video decoding, etc... Yes typically you want a dGPU for high end gaming, but if you will only do it occasionally but need the added core for other work then it will be fine. Cache isn't an issue with the Ryzen as they already have more than the Intel CPUs.

Umfriend

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
Uhm, "more than Intel" != enough.

So I get that 8CU might be enough for casual gaming but then I would not want it paired with a dGPU. What other work then gaming (or graphic content creation perhaps) needs more than, say, 2 CUs?

Uhm, "more than Intel" != enough.

So I get that 8CU might be enough for casual gaming but then I would not want it paired with a dGPU. What other work then gaming (or graphic content creation perhaps) needs more than, say, 2 CUs?
Video editing it helped by extra CUs to a certain extent.
But what if, like me, you want raw CPU and IO but not graphics?
IO on a laptop is always limited. Even on huge chassis you might get 2x 2.5", 2x M.2 SSD, M.2 WiFi, ODD, and dGPU. That's it as the form factor doesn't allow for more. "All of the CPUs are PCIe 3.0 only, rather than PCIe 4.0 like the desktop parts. This is primarily due to power – the double bandwidth of PCIe 4.0 requires more power, and given that storage or graphics rarely need peak speeds, AMD felt the product portfolio would prefer battery life in this regard. Each chip has sixteen PCIe 3.0 lanes, split such that x8 is available for a graphics card, and two x4 links for storage. There are separate PCIe lanes for other modules such as Wi-Fi 6 or mobile network access (4G/5G). Display support for the CPUs allows for two 4K monitors through DisplayPort over Type-C, an additional 4K monitor if Thunderbolt is used, and a fourth monitor if USB 4.0 used. AMD has designed Renoir to not need additional chips to detect which way a Type-C is connected – that is all handled on die. With the display and USB support, the processor allows for concurrent USB 3.2 and DisplayPort use, with the peak DP v1.4 8.1G HBR3 standard in play using display stream compression (DSC)." There isn't much more on the IO that can be done after that.

In terms of CPU grunt, this is a Zen 2 CPU which has a ton of power as it is. Clock for clock it should be the same performance as its desktop cousins. If you need more power and IO than that, then you need to be on a desktop or HEDT platform.

Bamda

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
I am very excited about this. I have been wanting to upgrade my gaming laptop for a year. I am tired of the CPUs 4c/8t that intel just releases, having 8c/16t is exactly what I was looking for in a laptop. This is another great product release. Thank you, AMD!

Latest posts