[SOLVED] AMD display driver keeps crashing/freezing windows.

Sep 11, 2019
I've recently rebuilt my computer, updating my 4770k to a Ryzen 3700X, Gigabyte x570 Aorus elite with 2x16GB 3200Mhz. Kept my existing 650W PSU, RX480 and Samsung 850 SSD.

Since putting it together, the display driver has been freezing fairly regularly, blanking out the screen and restarting, or freezing windows entirely. This has been happening from opening browser windows or other apps, haven't got as far as launching any games yet.

So far I've tried:
• Reinstalling windows
• Updating to latest Radeon driver (19.9.1)
• Downgrading to older Radeon driver (19.3.3)
• Updating firmware (F4)
• Turning off XMP to run ram at 2133Mhz
• Running DDU and reinstalling 19.3.3 again
• Swapping the video card for another RX480

The issue has persisted through all of this and I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Solution
Sorry for the slow reply, its looking like one of the RAM sticks is faulty, removed it and haven't had a problem for about a week. Didn't expect a ram issue to crash the display driver.
Sep 11, 2019
I did a clean install of windows after it started freezing up, I did install the chipset driver, I think it was stripped out by DDU though more recently. Can reinstall that now.

Sep 11, 2019
Sorry for the slow reply, its looking like one of the RAM sticks is faulty, removed it and haven't had a problem for about a week. Didn't expect a ram issue to crash the display driver.

Solution