Question AMD Driver - - - constant driver timeouts/crashes ?

Jan 19, 2023
Hi,

I recently built a new custom PC, switching over from Nvidia 1650 Super to an AMD RX 6800XT with a dual monitor Setup. My Main monitor is an AW2721D 240HZ 1440P, While my second is C24G1 144HZ 1080P.

And I've instantly started having black screens, green screens, crashes, All of them followed by a popup "Amd driver timeout" and afterwards the Amd adrenaline software closes. Not what I'd expect from a brand new, $700 GPU.

My pc has never shutdown, and my temps run very cool while running any of the games below to the point where you can barely hear the fans running so I don't think Power/PSU is the issue.

I mainly play Overwatch, Valorant, Genshin Impact, Lost ark, Fifa 23, Warzone.

Overwatch seems to work fine with 240Hz, no crashes so far, but all the other games have crashed, and Genshin crashes instantly right as it launches which is weird because Genshin doesn't even go up to 240Hz, it's 60 Fps maximum so I don't see how it interferes.

I've been looking endlessly on the internet for fixes, solutions and tried them all.
Tried Uninstalling GPU drivers with DDU, Tried undervolting GPU, Changing windows settings, Battery usage, Turning off hardware acceleration, Freesync on and off, changing Bios settings with XMP profiles on and off, and none of those worked.

But I've found a temporary fix where lowering my Main monitor's refresh rate from 240hz to 120hz has stopped the crashes and maybe happens about once a week now, compared to constantly before. So I'm assuming the problem has to be something with the monitors.

Does anyone have a similiar issue, is it maybe because of the dual monitors?

I'd really like to use my monitor at 240Hz, because that's why I paid the 800 euro premium for it.

Specs below:
  1. RAM: Kingston fury 4x 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz.
  2. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z690 DDR4.
  3. CPU + Cooler: I5-13600k, Arctic Liquid Cooler 280mm.
  4. Storage: 1TB Patriot M.2 Disk.
  5. PSU: 1000W Sama FTX Armor Gold.
  6. GPU: RX 6800XT XFX Merc
  7. OS: Windows 11 64bit
Thanks!

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Not what I'd expect from a brand new, $700 GPU.

I'm sorry, but I guess you never had AMD drivers? I personally several people who had had bad luck. (they have got tons better, this is not a flame against AMD just personal experience, I'm typing this on AMD CPU box)

Try installing just the driver only not the bloatware piece see if that fixes it. If that don't try rolling back one driver version.

Do you have a good display port cable rated for the high refresh rates, that can cause issues.

Jan 19, 2023
I'm sorry, but I guess you never had AMD drivers? I personally several people who had had bad luck. (they have got tons better, this is not a flame against AMD just personal experience, I'm typing this on AMD CPU box)

Try installing just the driver only not the bloatware piece see if that fixes it. If that don't try rolling back one driver version.

Do you have a good display port cable rated for the high refresh rates, that can cause issues.

No this was my first time using AMD, wanted to give the underdog a chance just to get utterly disappointed.

I did Uninstall and fresh install with DDU so it should've been without bloatware I'm pretty sure. Even turned off my internet to make sure it doesn't install anything on it's own, as well as auto updates in the settings.

I'm not sure about the display port cable, I'll try using a different one. Would a cable cause driver timeouts tho?

Also my specific type of GPU XFX MERC says in the specs it supports HDMI for high refresh not DP, but it wasn't turning on at all with an HDMI cable.