Question AMD driver crashes windows

Apr 15, 2019
Problem: Installing AMD drivers causes screen to go black after Windows logo and Windows 7 does not boot/Windows 10 crashes.

Tried to hide info that may be useless, to summarize, you may ignore it.

Background:
I've had this desktop since 2012 (original CDs are lost) and the only hardware added was a Samsung Evo in 2015 used for OS leaving the HDD as storage. As far as I remember I always used AMD Catalyst. Had Windows 7 ultimate SP1 since the beginning and was last clean installed over a year ago with automatic updates disabled, but regularly checked by me.

My Specs:

Mobo
M5A88M https://www.asus.com/latin/Motherboards/M5A88M/
Micro QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 850, 3279 MHz (16.5 x 199)
Memory Kingston DDR3 4GB 1333
GPU: AMD Radeon SAPPHIRE HD 6670 (1gb) GDDR5 DP
Power Source: Sentey ERP500-ss (500 W)

It's worth noting that this motherboard has integrated graphics though my monitor is connected to the GPU using a VGA cable with a DVI adapter.

Latest events:
On March 22 I installed Furi from Origin and it downloaded Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64) - 12.0.30501 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) - 12.0.30501.
So far so good I ran the game a few times and played it for about 30 minutes then dropped it. On Friday 12 I ran Furi from Origin and instead of starting, some download was made (these Visual C++ 2013 again). After that the game ran as usual. I had a conflict with gamepad with a software similar to xpadder and I had uninstalled on March 22. So I altabbed, went to uninstall programs and my first two programs (chronologically sorted) were those Visual C++ Redistributable which had been reinstalled again. When I tried to go back to my game I had a black screen and the device did not respond again. I'm telling you this just in case it's important, but I think this is not related to my problem.

The black screen forced me to hard reset my PC. Scandisk started but found no problem, however after Windows logo I got only black screen (keyboard LEDs on) again. Started again in Safe Mode and left the antivirus running, nothing found. So I decided it was a good opportunity to clean install Windows again. Everything worked fine until I restarted the PC. Again the same problem and could only start in safe mode. This way I discovered that Windows updated was downloading video drivers and that was my issue.

Windows Update log:
" ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - AMD Radeon HD 6600 series
Installation date: ‎4/‎13/‎2019 2:15 PM
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Recommended
ATI Technologies Inc. Display software update released in April, 2011"

My guess is that I always used Catalyst latest drivers and since these have been discontinued for a while no update could be the cause of conflict, so I opened the case and checked if everething was ok, I have no idea about hardware but at simple glance nothing was out of place.

After that I tried to install different drivers with AMD's Catalyst and Crimson and directly from the Device Manager, following different AMD and Tomshardware threads.

I did install all these drivers in Windows 7

Since blindly installing drivers was a total waste of time, forcing me to start Windows in safe mode to uninstall my drivers and restart Windows, I checked my BIOS for Primary Video Controllers and as far as I understood this was ok

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190415/c5417178dc196972ed93aaf36bd2089d.jpg

Today I just opened the case again and made a closer inspection and further cleaning and nothing seems to be clearly broken or disconnected. Again, I'm quite ignorant of hardware issues.

Later I installed Windows 10 by formatting the SSD following the last post here https://community.amd.com/thread/184727 which recommended going offline and installing latest drivers using Device Manager and further steps I could not reach. In Windows 10, during installation of drivers an interrupted notification sound was heard (as if a message is popping up and the system crashes) at the same time screen goes black and after waiting 15 minutes nothing happens. (Different from Windows 7 that requires restart, so the crash always happens during boot, in Windows 10 the system goes down automatically)

In Windows 10 I installed these from Device Manager (latest drivers from Crimson and Catalyst)

Then I decided to let Windows do its work. Windows 10 automatic update did the same plus a kind of interference noise from my case. Also tried to let Catalyst install the drivers with no avail.

During the multiple times I restarted my PC with Windows 10 today there was only once a brown screen (split second prior to black screen) between the Windows logo with the circling dots and prior to the welcome window which never shows.

I can still try to reinstall the vBios and I'm looking for someone with another PC to try my GPU on another mother. Since it's a quite old config it's getting difficult to get that done.

I'm looking for other options to rule out whether this a hardware or software issue. Thanks

Apr 15, 2019
Just tried in safe mode using DDU and latest drivers and same crash happened. I took the opportunity to check fan activity and all remain active at least during 5 minutes after black screen (then I powered off). Case fans, CPU fan, PSU fan and GPU fan all active.