Question AMD Driver timeouts are very real and need to be adressed ASAP!!!!!!!!

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
Dear all

First i built a PC for my friend, he had been using my old GTX 1050 completely free of issues for 2 months before upgrading to a RX 6500 XT (as that card had the best value to performance ratio during the crisis). Ever since he has the card he has been getting at least 2 driver timeouts per week, not during gaming but during desktop use such as watching youtube or twitch, browsing.

I thought it was a card defect and told him to return it, but then in my country the RX 6600 hit MSRP and pulled the trigger on the Asus Dual RX 6600 . Litteraly the second day of owning it the screen turned black and received a driver timeout, I INSTANTLY took it out and sent it back, I just hope I can get my money back. I’m extremely pissed and now know this is no longer coincidence but an actual problem with AMD.

If you look at the driver release notes from adrenalin 22.4.2 on reddit there is a comment saying “when are they going to fix the driver timeouts” upvoted 50+ times.

I posted a threat on the AMD reddit with this issue and it has been removed a day later, mysteriously gone…

A little background, I am very knowledgeable building PC’s and I used DDU to remove the NVIDIA drivers first and took all steps nessecary to install AMD ones. Also both my friend and I system use high quality components and have been running rocksolid for a long time with NVIDIA cards. We both use intel systems with the 11400F – Auorus Pro B560m – Seasonic Core Gold GC 650

I genuinely don't get why this problem isn't more known as it's a VERY real issue and i'm sure it causes for ALOT of false RMA claims just because AMD is trash. Youtubers don't seem to mention it at all..

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
most of driver timeouts (blackscreen x driver reset) is caused by PSU, atx 3.0 should be free of such issues once it hits market

Did you read anything i said? Both of us run great components with Seasonic GC 650 units which are in the PSU tier list as recommended.
If that's not enough i already said we have been running NVIDIA cards free of ANY issues for a long time, that's why we in fact KNOW it's a driver issue. my GTX 1070 has NEVER skipped a beat in 2 years time. your comment is based off nothing.

I have run both Nvidia and AMD cards over the years currently on RX5700 2+years old and have never had issues with drivers. On the other hand I have RMA'd two cards for your issue and in both cases it was failing Vram on cards and replacement fixed the issue.