AMD Driver Update Causing Vertical Lines

Trebond

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
I have been having some very frustrating problems with updating drivers for my graphics card. When I got my R7 250x OC 2GB from Gigabyte a while back, I updated the drivers from AMD's website and promptly got vertical lines all across the screen after trying to play some games (Skyrim and Hearthstone if I remember correctly). I tried to look online to see what was the problem but I couldn't find a solution so I just gave up on it. Now, I tried to update my computer from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and the installation went smoothly. I hopped on to play The Witcher 3, but lo behold, the vertical lines appeared once more. I then tried to update my drivers again but it was in vain. I kept crashing.

I decided to uninstall all the drivers with AMD Cleanup Utility and CC Cleaner as well as some registry edits but that just resulted in my computer no recognizing my graphics card any more and I had no choice but to downgrade to Windows 8 where my drivers still worked for my graphics card for some reason. I would still like to update my drivers so I can get better performance (namely for The Witcher 3 which I recently obtained). Now, I am hesitant to update my drivers because of the vertical line problem and any help would be gladly appreciated.

Edit:DxDiag of display on Windows 8

Trebond

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Not quite sure what you mean by that. Do you mean fresh install as in wiping all my files clean? I chose to keep my files during the Windows 10 installation. I did try to install some older drivers that I found on the Gigabyte website and they didn't seem to work either (They said for windows 8/8.1).

gokitty199

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

yes wiping your files clean and only keeping what youve chosen, upon some reading ive found a decent amount of people with various issues when doing the upgrade option to windows 10 but i cant guarentee you that this would be a fix to your problem. you could try uninstalling the drivers on windows 8 and then doing the upgrade again to windows 10 and letting windows install the basic drivers and see how that goes. are you on the same driver version when you were on windows 10 as you were on windows 8?

Trebond

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
No, when I upgraded to windows 10 I had different drivers when I checked the DxDiag. I don't remember exactly what version I had but it was dated x/x/2015 if I remember correctly (but I'm not sure).

Edit: I downloaded the latest drivers from AMD, but this time I turned down the GPU and memory clock in Radeon settings. My computer seems to be holding steady for the moment.