Question AMD Driver/Video card issues in games

winningfreak

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Lately i've notice games have began to feel very sluggish (even games that had previously run smooth). This really became an issue when I tried playing Apex legends where the game is just freezing for 1-2 seconds when looking around. Been trying to figure out what's going on. Today I attempted to update my video card drivers and it got stuck at 22% installing for 15-20 minutes before I closed the box. Then I decided I would uninstall the old drivers first then reinstall the new ones. The uninstall got stuck at 20%.

My PC Specs:
CPU: Intel I-7 6700K
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon R9 290
MOBO: ASUS Z170-D3
RAM: 16GB Crucial

I am running the recommended card for Apex legends and still have issues at 1080P with every slider turned down to Low or off.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Feb 16, 2019
Hello,

I had similar problem with Fallout 4 on my R9 270X. It was overheating problem and I solved it by replacing thermal paste on GPU, after that it ran perfectly. You can see in AMD Catalyst under overclocking what is temp of GPU, or check how hot is back of the card physically with your hand. :)
You can try that solution or you have some virus that gets your CPU usage to 100%, some bitcoin generator malware. In that case re-install Windows, you can check in task manager your CPU usage.

winningfreak

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Hello,

I had similar problem with Fallout 4 on my R9 270X. It was overheating problem and I solved it by replacing thermal paste on GPU, after that it ran perfectly. You can see in AMD Catalyst under overclocking what is temp of GPU, or check how hot is back of the card physically with your hand. :)
You can try that solution or you have some virus that gets your CPU usage to 100%, some bitcoin generator malware. In that case re-install Windows, you can check in task manager your CPU usage.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it's an overheating issue as it just starts out that way. in MSI After burner it's staying under 90c. I attempted to remove the drivers with DDU but that also seems to just get stuck for several minutes. I'm thinking wiping the drive might be the solution here.

Feb 16, 2019
Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it's an overheating issue as it just starts out that way. in MSI After burner it's staying under 90c. I attempted to remove the drivers with DDU but that also seems to just get stuck for several minutes. I'm thinking wiping the drive might be the solution here.

You can try replacing thermal paste on GPU, it can't hurt if you know how. I was shocked how GPU looked when I removed cooler, paste was all cracked and barely there. And that was card that was 3 months old. I don't like going to servis because they take 3 weeks to do something that easy. But you can take it to servis if you want.