Question AMD Drivers Causing OS to Freeze/BSOD

Genmokai

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Specs:
ASROCK X99 Extreme 4
BIOS Date: 6/03/16 Ver:05.0000B - ME FW Ver. 9.1.30.1008
Intel i7 5820K (cooled by corsair H100i gtx)
R9 290x (crossfire) kraken nzxt to H55 corsair
16gb RAM (4gb x4)
Booting from SSD Evo 850
Windows 7 64bit all updated
Evga 1050w
No dust issues

Update: Reinstalled the OS twice, first time around I installed the newest drivers from AMD. Restart as it prompted me too. BSOD, couldn't uninstall it without an error, and DDU cause soemthing else? Anyway reinstalled the OS again. Just moments ago, I chose to install an older verion of AMD 19.4.1 It prompts me to restart, BSOD. I'm back in safemode to continue the post.

I recently moved. The Tower was safely transported or so I thought. I got the machine running then made dinner. Once I sat down as soon as I joined discord it froze. Had to hold the power button to shut it off. Boot it again, get into discord it was fine till I started the AMD Radeon. It froze. So launch again msconfig remove needless things from booting. Crashes when I start Corsair Link. I attempt to start in safe mode but I get locked at the final step of the boot, "please wait." Never had that happen before.

Checked all the components, CPU cooler is tight and secure, Graphic cards are as snug as they can be, all SATA connections I unplugged and replugged one at a time to make sure it was set. PSU connections are fine, PSU is tested no pin issues or voltage problems. RAM is seated securely.

I do not crash in my BIOS. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I've also run the CHKDSK twice on the C://
Event Viewer: Event ID Kernel-Power - 3 in the last hour, 7 in the last 7 days.
Instantly crash when I use the AMD Software.
Crashed for the first time at my login screen.
Yeah if I open steam to type my credentials it freezes as well. Not sure if it's a SSD issue or CPU.
After the aforementioned steam crash, I restarted the machine to shut it down properly from the logon screen it's been shutting down for over 10mins. That's new as well.

I got into safe mode with networking. 20mins of up time and still going. I did not see the CPU max out in safemode or a normal launch.

Edit 2: reinstalled the OS everything went smoothly. Installed AMD drivers restarted to finalize, bsod on the following boot. Go to safe mode remove the drivers with DDU able to install and use steam no crash.
Currently letting AMD auto detect drivers. Restarted it got to the logon screen. I guess it bsod. Boot again I got a blackscreen with a blinking cursor top left corner.

Last edited:

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Numerous people have had problems like this with AMD.

You remove and and driver's and suddenly the freeze and bsod is gone.

No matter what driver you try, your computer either crashes/ throws bsod or ends up at a black screen.

This is a sign of GPU failure.

May be try beta drivers and see what happens.

Genmokai

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Numerous people have had problems like this with AMD.

You remove and and driver's and suddenly the freeze and bsod is gone.

No matter what driver you try, your computer either crashes/ throws bsod or ends up at a black screen.

This is a sign of GPU failure.

May be try beta drivers and see what happens.

Thank you for the suggestion.
I spent a significant amount of time updating windows 7. No issues with any restarts for that. I went ahead and installed the last optional driver definitions I know I used without an issue in the past. AMD 19.5.1 and it got to the logon screen and BSOD.

Would my next step be removing one card, at a time, and swapping PCIe ports?

Thank you.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
If you are trying to install windows from scratch, better use Windows ISO Downloader.
It will let you download windows image with the latest updates included

If you have automatic updates enabled, windows might automatically download the amd drivers.

Most probably that card is damaged, but it's a good idea to test it in some other system.

It's likely that one of that cards is faulty, so go ahead and test both (one at a time).

If you see the same problem, then you know it's time to upgrade.
AMD R9 290x vs Nvidia RTX 2060 Super

Last edited:

Genmokai

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
If you are trying to install windows from scratch, better use Windows ISO Downloader.
It will let you download windows image with the latest updates included

If you have automatic updates enabled, windows might automatically download the amd drivers.

Most probably that card is damaged, but it's a good idea to test it in some other system.

It's likely that one of that cards is faulty, so go ahead and test both (one at a time).

If you see the same problem, then you know it's time to upgrade.
AMD R9 290x vs Nvidia RTX 2060 Super

Since my last post I've been able to use the machine without drivers. I thought, It had something to do with a conflict with windows 7 updates for a specific driver: Advanced Micro Devices - MEDIA. I did get all the Windows 7 updates, and it was fine for 8 hours. So I took the leap.

I am now stable with AMD drivers 19.5.1 I am using this version as this is the last time recall not having an issue. I thought gained issues doing a fresh install in safe mode to update to the latest driver set.

So I've been testing here is what I've gathered: The Master r9 290x when in game is ranging from 0-100% GPU usage. I've been using GPU-Z and Global WattMan to discovered that the Average GPU Usage was steadily increasing during the play session of any game. It drops as expected to nominal readings when i am using t he desktop and other applications. The Temps are fine in game, usually around 80c for Witcher and GTA V. I have seen some FPS drops when the machine his about an average of 55% Average Activity. I am currently using the Crossfire default settings with chill On and set to a target of 64fps.

I assume this means these cards are on their way out, if you have a moment let me know what you think.
Thank you

TRENDING THREADS