[SOLVED] AMD Drivers

Apart from having problems myself,I'm noticing a lot of other threads where people are having similar issues with installing GPU's and the AMD drivers, (black screens, screens flicking on and off,getting into boot/POST loops etc,) despite doing clean installs. Was just wondering how widespread this problem is and if AMD are likely to run a fix? I know these problems could be down to a multitude of different things but just seems a little coincidental that many people are having the same problems recently.

Solution
The recent stuff seems to be with regard to Navi, though Toms Hardware and Techspot, for example, say they haven't experienced it.

Also, as far as I know, the current WHQL drivers (version 20.2.2) seem to have fixed it for most people, and there are posters here who say their problems went away with those drivers. Still, some report issues.

The reports were frequent enough that I was concerned about upgrading my son's GPU to a Navi, but I did, figuring if there was a problem I could return it.

When I upgraded, even though my son's existing card was AMD (PowerColor RX 580 8GB), I used DDU to remove the drivers completely, swapped to the RX 5700, installed the Adrenalin 20.2.2 drivers, and everything was fine. My son has been using...
This could be due to several factors. Kind of hard to suggest anything, unless you provide full specs.

If this is a widespread issue, then most probbaly AMD will deliver a hotfix via the GPU drivers, unless of course the problem lies within AMD's hardware.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

This could be due to several factors. Kind of hard to suggest anything, unless you provide full specs.

If this is a widespread issue, then most probbaly AMD will deliver a hotfix via the GPU drivers, unless of course the problem lies within AMD's hardware.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec
I have another post which details the issue Ive been having. This post was just a 'general' enquiry as I had noticed several people comment about trouble they've been having installing AMD drivers.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The recent stuff seems to be with regard to Navi, though Toms Hardware and Techspot, for example, say they haven't experienced it.

Also, as far as I know, the current WHQL drivers (version 20.2.2) seem to have fixed it for most people, and there are posters here who say their problems went away with those drivers. Still, some report issues.

The reports were frequent enough that I was concerned about upgrading my son's GPU to a Navi, but I did, figuring if there was a problem I could return it.

When I upgraded, even though my son's existing card was AMD (PowerColor RX 580 8GB), I used DDU to remove the drivers completely, swapped to the RX 5700, installed the Adrenalin 20.2.2 drivers, and everything was fine. My son has been using the card since March 20 several hours a day (4 days every other week) on Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tue, without issue. I really expected there to be at least one hiccup, but the problems have been nonexistent.

While we're probably not pushing his card (2560x1080 resolution, capped at 75fps), there are some games that are not well optimized where GPU utilization goes to 100% occasionally and the frame rates drop. But no problems with POST, booting, blank screens, or anything at all.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution