Discussion AMD Drops Third-Gen Threadripper From Latest Roadmap

akamateau

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
It appears the consensus is that EPYC adoption rates are going to demand all RYZEN 3000 TR HEDT chiplets. This may be so but from perhaps another source entirely.

You see both Amazon AWS and Microsoft AZURE are the two finalists for the $10BILLION DOD JEDI cloud services contract which incidentally requires the construction of at least 6 new data centers for Secure and non-secure cloud networks.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...0314ec7c83cd0ace1636b5474a1&tab=core&_cview=0

Despite some drama from Oracle, the GSA has been directed to continue with the award not sooner than July 19.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/defe...f-jedi-lawsuit-decision-expected-by-mid-july/

In fact Microsoft is buying up land ostensibly to demonstrate the ability to immediately move forward. Amazon likely has been as well, perhaps some of this has been under the cover of locating a new headquarters.

AMD however is a partner with both AWS and AZURE as they are both EPYC fans.

Perhaps AMD is seeing a unexpected demand for EPYC silicon due to one or the other JEDI wins?

For AMD, JEDI might be a WIN-WIN.

Last edited:
That's all very interesting and the final three statements, even if somewhat speculative, suggest AMD's outlook is promising . But I fail to see why it means AMD is dropping 3rd gen Threadripper from their Roadmap.

I also was looking to find a "consensus" somewhere...but couldn't. Maybe someone could point it out differently?

akamateau

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
That's all very interesting and the final three statements, even if somewhat speculative, suggest AMD's outlook is promising . But I fail to see why it means AMD is dropping 3rd gen Threadripper from their Roadmap.

I also was looking to find a "consensus" somewhere...but couldn't. Maybe someone could point it out differently?

AMD has dropped the RYZEN 3000 HEDT from their roadmap. Several pieces have been written speculating why. They seem to agree that demand for EPYC ROME might be driving it. I was pointing out why ROME just might be so popular all of a sudden.

AMD has dropped the RYZEN 3000 HEDT from their roadmap. Several pieces have been written speculating why.....

Oh...OK...so the thread title is really in independent statement...

I agree things looking better for AMD, but we've been getting a lot about that since the Rome announcement in particular. It's nice to see things firming up now. But aren't you assuming a lot? does AWS and Azure being a fan of Epyc really mean they'll go that with it?

akamateau

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

I agree things looking better for AMD, but we've been getting a lot about that since the Rome announcement in particular. It's nice to see things firming up now. But aren't you assuming a lot? does AWS and Azure being a fan of Epyc really mean they'll go that with it?

Not really. I was responding to the piece that was written on Tom's Hardware yesterday. Similar writing is elsewhere though not as widespread as what usually happens.

akamateau

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

I'm not not making any assumptions nor am I making assertions..

I am just pointing out facts.

AWS and AZURE are the two finalists for JEDI and both are early AMD EPYC adopters.

I did posit the question: "Perhaps AMD is seeing a unexpected demand for EPYC silicon due to one or the other JEDI wins?"

I am just pointing out facts.

So then it's factual that JEDI will use Epyc processors?

EDIT add: I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just a bit confused by the post.

But for what it's worth, the Tom's article I thought most intriguing... and kind of fits in with the 'good news for AMD' theme...is the 'Dell Reverses Course....' article. For a Dell to make a change like that seems pretty significant to me.

Last edited:

akamateau

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
So then it's factual that JEDI will use Epyc processors?

EDIT add: I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just a bit confused by the post.

But for what it's worth, the Tom's article I thought most intriguing... and kind of fits in with the 'good news for AMD' theme...is the 'Dell Reverses Course....' article. For a Dell to make a change like that seems pretty significant to me.

I didn't say that. However I cannot think of a reason why AWS or AZURE would NOT use EPYC, perhaps not exclusively. Especially seeing as how both are continuing to expand EPYC instances.

Go to the FBO website I posted above and download the solicitation documents. Why would the anyone use ancient 14nm server tech?

Read the facts that I did point out.

Funny thing about Dell, they build the AZURE stacks for Microsoft! VMWare builds Amazon's AWS hardware.

So, for people who were worried about Ryzen 38xx cannibalizing entry-level ThreadRipper 3xxx, your fears have been assuaged: EPYC got there first and may have forced AMD to postpone if not cancel TR3 altogether. Quite the unexpected twist.

Is EPYC targeted...or even suitable...to the HEDT market?

Maybe removing TR3 from the roadmap is just temporary? Possibly until things shake out with an X399 chipset replacement?

D

Deleted member 14196

he did say in that post "...to postpone, if not cancel" so yeah maybe just temporary is the feeling.

The drop of TR makes sense.

If Ryzen 3000 series 16 core /32 thread on 2 chiplets is true, then that would kind of kill off the reason for TR. And far as market segmentation, I'm more then willing to bet AMD would happily sell them an EPYC instead of TR for HEDT.

There's going to be a shortage of these 7nm chips, so AMD maximizing their profit line, while keeping their core base happy would be a prudent business move.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I guess it depends on how you define things. For me, there's 3 distinct areas, general consumer who only really uses Ryzen, small business like large resteraunts who would benefit from 10-30 or so pos networking on TR and industrial who really need Epyc. To me, Epyc is far too expensive a setup for the middle ground, yet Ryzen not enough, yet the middle ground still constitutes a good sized segment of pc users. Is Ryzen enough to bridge that gap? Or will that middle ground be soaked up by E3 Xeons?

I didn't say that. However I cannot think of a reason why AWS or AZURE would NOT use EPYC, perhaps not exclusively. Especially seeing as how both are continuing to expand EPYC instances.

Go to the FBO website I posted above and download the solicitation documents. Why would the anyone use ancient 14nm server tech?

Read the facts that I did point out.

Funny thing about Dell, they build the AZURE stacks for Microsoft! VMWare builds Amazon's AWS hardware.
Why would they use uncertified server tech that they don't even yet know how well it will perform in the tasks they need?
Bottom line is that if they are in such a big pinch as you are making it look to be they will be using anything they can get their hands on,they will buy up anything they can find be it ARM GPU or x86.

InvalidError

Titan
If Ryzen 3000 series 16 core /32 thread on 2 chiplets is true, then that would kind of kill off the reason for TR.
I don't think it does: 16 cores will require substantially more memory bandwidth to deliver optimal benefits in most workloads so you'll probably need quad-channel memory for dependable performance under all conditions as you would expect from a workstation-class setup. On AM4, 16C32T will only be viable for tasks with lighter memory controller footprint, which could be constraining. Also, don't forget that 16C32T would be entry-level for ThreadRipper 3, going up to at least 32T64T for the high-end.

I don't think it does: 16 cores will require substantially more memory bandwidth to deliver optimal benefits in most workloads so you'll probably need quad-channel memory for dependable performance under all conditions as you would expect from a workstation-class setup. On AM4, 16C32T will only be viable for tasks with lighter memory controller footprint, which could be constraining. Also, don't forget that 16C32T would be entry-level for ThreadRipper 3, going up to at least 32T64T for the high-end.

QFT. But then again the kind of people who really need TR bandwidth who aren't professionals (with an EPYC budget) are a small portion of the population. The later statement is pure conjecture on my part.

While the notebook & homebuilt market is picking up, and flocking to AMD at the same time, I think the number of people owning Thread rippers who need a core update with the available bandwidth would be small. Finding a prebuilt TR system from the big players is like finding teeth on a hen. It's like those guys running E3 XEONs. Few and far between need that kind of power for home use.

Not that I don't empathize with you guys who do things like 3D render, rip movies or run VMs at home. Maybe when there are more 7nm chips available, you guys will get your updates.

Last edited:

akamateau

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Why would they use uncertified server tech that they don't even yet know how well it will perform in the tasks they need?
Bottom line is that if they are in such a big pinch as you are making it look to be they will be using anything they can get their hands on,they will buy up anything they can find be it ARM GPU or x86.

EPYC is not "uncertified server tech", whatever that is, if you had read the several pieces regarding Dells expansion into 7nm EPYC you would know this.

In fact if you Google "uncertified server tech" there are no results. Your comment is essentially a non-sequitur.

Neither AZURE nor AWS uses ARM. Again you should read before you comment.

EPYC is not "uncertified server tech", whatever that is, if you had read the several pieces regarding Dells expansion into 7nm EPYC you would know this.
How do you know it's not if you don't know what it is?
Certifications involves the company getting some sample CPUs and testing the code they will run on their own so that they exactly know what they are dealing with.
In fact if you Google "uncertified server tech" there are no results. Your comment is essentially a non-sequitur.
Because nothing uncertified ever makes it to servers.
search for certified servers or software to find results.
I was just making a point that they will buy anything that would work for them if ARM is something they could use they would buy it.

akamateau

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
EPYC is not "uncertified server tech".

In fact if you Google "uncertified server tech"

How do you know it's not if you don't know what it is?
Certifications involves the company getting some sample CPUs and testing the code they will run on their own so that they exactly know what they are dealing with.

Because nothing uncertified ever makes it to servers.
search for certified servers or software to find results.

I was just making a point that they will buy anything that would work for them if ARM is something they could use they would buy it.

So why don't you just start by telling us exactly how EPYC is UNCERTIFIED SERVER TECH?

Dell, AZURE, AWS, VMware are all users. And as well all know, Dell is increasing it's EPYC product line.

Last edited: