AMD Dual Core not recognized on Biostar NF4ST-A9 - No BIOS update available, tr

dnarby

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Hi All,

Well, I finally have a question to ask on Tom's KA hardware guide (usually I can solve my problems by reading about the solution here!).

I have a Biostar NF4ST-A9 motherboard. I just purchased an Athlon 64 X2 3800 dual core CPU to upgrade.

The machine boots fine (and is a big improvement over the Sempron 3000 I had in it), but only one core is recognized anywhere (Task Manager, etc.).

There are no BIOS updates I can find.

I performed a fresh installation of Windows, but no joy.

Any help I can get using both cores in this spiffy new proc would be immensely appreciated!

dnarby

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
OK...

FIXED IT.

Turns out there WAS an updated bios for my board, which was all I needed to do to get it to work right. BIOS now recognizes the CPU correctly, and after a couple reboots, so does Windows (no need to reinstall).

Biostar even had a nifty BIOS flash utility that enabled me to clear the CMOS and update the bios from Windows.

Turns out I had to use A SEARCH ENGINE BESIDES GOOGLE TO FIND A PAGE WHICH HAD BIOSTAR'S FTP ADDRESSES FOR MY BIOS... RrrrrRRRR!

Looks like I'll be using Altavista for searches, and may think twice about Biostar in the future. >: |

Here's that bios FTP page as it has a lot of other BIOS' on it http://www.tolkuchka.dsip.net/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=15&t=10587

Thanks for letting me think out loud, hope this helps someone else.