AMD Dual Core Optimizer and XP SP3

jestjest

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hi all, I'm using an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Clocked at 3.0ghz , it runs fine - no problems. I do get slight performance issues in some games, and was wondering if I should be using the AMD DUAL CORE OPTIMIZER with XP SP3? (32bit).

I have been using it, and have just installed to test if it runs better without it, but any input on this matter will be appreciated.

sdf

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
What games and issues are you experiencing? I've had to use it myself but only for two games, COD and CODUO as they would continue to loop and fail to get past certain objectives without it. Not sure if the AM3 CPU's experience the same problem. Couldn't hurt to at least try it and see if it helps.

The optimizer is actually to fix a time stamp problem that could occur with some older games and XP, when running an AMD X2 processor.
The optimizer has no effect on modern games, and does nothing what-so-ever to speed anything up.

sdf

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007

Does the same problem occur with the newer AM3 duals and quads?

This.

You can, however, screw things up if you install BOTH the AMD dual-core optimizer and the XP 'patch' ---- just do one and not the other!