kiIIxthexIights

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Hello i was wondering, is dual core really worth the extra money? The most things i would be doing at once would be to have a game running...aim, and the internet, but even my celeron d can handle that. so i was wondering should i spend the extra on a dual core 3800+ or get a single core 3800+...

and also would a p4 3.0 GHz be faster then a single core 3800+?

thanks.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hello i was wondering, is dual core really worth the extra money? The most things i would be doing at once would be to have a game running...aim, and the internet, but even my celeron d can handle that. so i was wondering should i spend the extra on a dual core 3800+ or get a single core 3800+...

and also would a p4 3.0 GHz be faster then a single core 3800+?

thanks.

Surely a celeronD is the bottom of performance so I'm not surprised thei it doesen't handle them both but a 3800+ is another story.
Would be useless to get e dual core 3800+ because internet & gaming is light multitasking and the single core can handle it well.
And finally, the 3800+ is MUCH better in gaming than a P4 @3GHz.

kiIIxthexIights

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
thanks for your help

but no the reason i was asking is because implanning on building a new computer, and i would either keep my old motherboard socket 478 and just get a new p4

or buy a whole new a8n sli and get a amd processor

wich should probably be around the same price range because of the price drop of amd processors in a few weeks.

kiIIxthexIights

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
thanks for your help also,

would you be able to tell me any good reasons for GOING dual core?like what kind of multitasking would take advantage of its capabilitys?

but also i was wondering, if you were playing a game and nothing else. just playing the game would the dual core processor make the game run better then a single core both 3800+?

kiIIxthexIights

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
thanks for your help

but no the reason i was asking is because implanning on building a new computer, and i would either keep my old motherboard socket 478 and just get a new p4

or buy a whole new a8n sli and get a amd processor

wich should probably be around the same price range because of the price drop of amd processors in a few weeks.

Just curious, if you were to go with a new MB/processor -- why the AMD route? Intel will still come out cheaper and out perform.

Jack

well because i will be gaming, and from what i hear AMD is a better processor for games.

instinctgone

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
the real advantages of having a dual core cpu will not be fully realized for just a bit longer. The new Winblows OS will not require a multi core cpu,...but will have optimizations to utilize one. In addition, gaming is moving towards multi threading and in about a year most games will run better on a multi core cpu. What you need to ask yourself is this.

How often can I afford to upgrade? If you will have no problem ponying out some dough in a year to jump on the multi core bandwagon then saving some cash now may make sense. The Intel camp looks nice now,..CoreDuo finally gives them the performance crown but Intel is too well known for jumping ship on socket layouts. AMD on the other hand,..may not have the top dog in architecture,...but the AM2 socket has been guaranteed to be around for a while. This means that if you move to an Intel based mobo that this time next year you may only be able to upgrade to todays top Intel CPU,....but if you go AMD you should be able to utilize thier next gen chip.