G

is it advisable to replace an AMD DURON 750, SOCKET A, PGA, 200MHZ SYST. BUS, 64 KBL2 CACHE WITH A AMD ATHELON 1.3GHZ, SOCKET A, PGA, 266 MHZ SYST. BUS, 256 CACHE OR IS THERE A BASIC CONFLICT IN BUS SPEEDS? I AM A BIT OF A NOVICE TECHNICALLY.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
you need to find out what kind of board you have

they you actual have a 100mhz fsb the 200is only if your useing ddr and i'm pretty sure your not

get sisfot sandars form cnet to help you find out waht kind of board you have

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
NO DONT DO THAT, I THINK YOU SHOOD GET A NEW MOTHERBORD TOO. THEN LATER YOU CAN GET A SOME DEEDEE-R RAM. FOR NOW IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY FOR NEW PROSESSOR THEN JUST OVERCLOCK YOUR NEW ONE. I BET YOU CAN GET TO A 950 WITH THAT ONE! THEN WHEN YOU BURN IT UP YOU HAVE REASON TO BUY NEW ATHELON PROSSESOR.

G

*SCREAMS IN PAIN*

Dude, compaqs are crap. Throw that thing out a window.

G

My friend asked me to upgrade his compaq that he bought last summer. When I opened it I saw a motherboard that was 2-3 years old. He had a celeron

Microsoft: We not only make Windows hacking possible, we make it easier!

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
if you get a new mother board then your going to have to get anew power supply so the easiest thing for you to do would to be to overclock it.

G

All he wanted me to do was upgrade the videocard, the da** thing had no agp slot, so he had to settle for a pci..

Microsoft: We not only make Windows hacking possible, we make it easier!

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got the same system, from what I've gathered, we got the throwbacks of the KX133 chipset, you can probably only run 100mhz (200ddr)fsb processors on it.
the only option for overclocking the processor, as the uninformed have told you to do, is to modify the bridges on the processor itself. there are no bus speed nor multiplier options on this board.
go with a 1.3, 200mhz if you want, but be prepared for troubles, I don't think the board was designed with that kind of power drain in mind.
btw: I have a 1Ghz in mine now, doesn't run too well with the Geforce 2 MX either... one or the other has to go to run wide open.
----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?