[SOLVED] AMD Enhanced Sync question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
"AMD Enhanced Sync" Just curious about how to use this or if I should .. I only use a HD TV (1080p) for display, and have been informed enhanced Sync will work with ANY display even non free sync ones (not sure what Tvs qualify as, but Ill assume its a non Sync , it is a Sony Bravia however so not a "cheap" Tv) I have noticed a little screen tearing on a couple games when they is fast actions etc.. The game I have limited to 60fps (in game) as well my AMD Settings I have set to 59fps ( I had read somewhere that having max set to 1fps below the screen refresh rate would help) . I am just unsure really how to set it up properly or if I should even bother. would I enable the Enhanced on my Video card then enable the V-sync in the game? .. would the V-Sync in the game just act as the Enhanced sync? or am I just best to limit the frame rate like I have been , where I don't know if Sync would be beneficial as I've set my FPS to 60fps on my 60Hnz Display (well 59fps) I guess I can fiddle around with the settings and see what happens.. but I am hoping someone can tell me (threw their experience) the best way to approach this

Solution
Oh so in layman's terms, it lets me max out the FPS without adding to the possibility of tearing over the max refresh rate of monitor ?
Yes, that's the gist of it.

its all so confusing as you'd think limiting below what its supposed to be would guarantee no tearing.
See my comment a few posts up. You can get tearing with fps lower than refresh rate the same as of it's higher than refresh rate. And even if fps is the same as refresh rate, but not synced.

If you were to cap framerate lower than refresh rate with enhanced sync enabled you'd actually guarantee you'd always have tearing (as enhanced sync only eliminates tearing above refresh rate).

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well I think I've answered my own question lol I thought Id share the results . The game I tested on is Dauntless on my Sony Bravia HDTV 60Hz panel (or so windows says,(display properties) cant really find much info on actual Hz. Ok so first test I turned on 'Enhanced Sync" and took off frame rate limit in both game and threw AMD settings as well as disabled V-sync in game with an average FPS result of like 35.. =/ .. wasn't too impressed, of course no tearing but wasn't very "quick" either. so on to test 2. Test 2 I shut off all Sync and left FPS uncapped.. exceeded 150fps in game which caused way too much tearing and oddly even stuttering. I think test 3 was the best results. I turned Sync options in AMD to "off unless application specifies" , left frame rate uncapped, and turned on V-sync in game. This resulted in a steady 60fps, didn't drop once in game (ok may of to 59 once or twice for like a 1/4 second) but also I didn't notice any tearing. My video card is Also overclocked to 1390Mhz and undervolted to 1030, So I think the V-Sync in game much be the sweet spot. . Now this leaves me with 1 more new question and that is , why would AMD Enhanced Sync only push out 30-35Fps? ( I mean that might explain why Xbox and PSP games are often locked at 30fps, is that the "ideal" spot for HDTV?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Enhanced sync means that if your FPS is greater than your refresh rate, Vsync is on and your frame rate will be limited to the refresh rate. But if your FPS is less than refresh rate, Vsync is off and you can have tearing. I don't know why it would result in such poor performance as you saw, I can only assume something else was at play.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well I don't know either to be honest. I did read that Enhanced Sync was made for any monitor even if it didn't have FreeSync , I admit I am lost with this stuff, I get the basics like how and why it works, like 60Hz refresh 60x/second which is why apparently anything over 60FPS can cause tearing, now limiting my FPS to just 60FPS without either Enhanced sync or the in game V-Sync option does seem to work pretty good as well, although that is how I first noticed tearing, its not a big section or anything but look's more (or reminds me of ) how when you used to take video of a TV screen you'd see that fuzzy bar travel up from bottom to top, which I guess is what tearing is but it wasn't too bad. but I thought maybe the Sync would be better. I even read that this Enhanced Sync lets you use full FPS but it matches Hz of any monitor, so I'm not sure, could it be that Enhanced Sync is "detecting" the true Hz of the display? I mean after all that might explain why Xbox and PS4 games (I believe) are all locked to 30fps? and maybe the in game V-Sync sees what the Windows Display property says it is.. ? Either way I retested the same scenario a couple times, and same results. Oh and before I'm asked, this install of windows 2 days old, fresh install not an update or reset, all drivers are 100% up to date as well as AMD Radeon software. My Video card is Over clocked but I cant see that having an issue with Sync?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Correct, enhanced sync does not require a freesync display.

like 60Hz refresh 60x/second which is why apparently anything over 60FPS can cause tearing
You can have tearing any time the FPS isn't synced to refresh. FPS could be lower, higher, or even equal to refresh rate (e.g. setting an FPS cap equal to refresh rate), you could still get tearing unless you have some sort of sync setting enabled.

Xbox/PS are locked to 30 fps because they aren't powerful enough to do stable 60 fps so they presumably decided it was better to have a lower, but stable FPS without tearing.

Have you tried any other games? Maybe that game just doesn't interact well with enhanced sync for some reason.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well I hadn't tried many others, the ones I had seemed ok , but aren't as fast paced as Dauntless can be.. however I am not sure how but I decided to try just Enhanced Sync again on its own , but this time I exited the Epic game launcher , after loading the game and disabling the V-Sync, then I shut down game as well as launcher, loaded launcher as Admin ( I often have to for updates etc. as it will fail to update otherwise) so anyway this time I was seeing Frame rates on average around 90FPS with no tearing, and as high as 112FPS... So I don't know , it seems to be working (such as tearing doesn't seem to be there) but, do those numbers seem right for a HDTV? one would think it wouldn't ever exceed 60fps, and it never dropped below 79fps. so I may test some more , lol I would think the first few times the numbers were bad maybe was due to not reloading game, but I don't know this is all new to me.. lol either way it now seems I can exceed the Refresh rate by 30-50fps and not have tearing , which is odd too seeing as I noticed tearing when the FPS were locked at 60 lol.. but computers and technology has never had to make sense on why it does what it does LOL

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Oh so in layman's terms, it lets me max out the FPS without adding to the possibility of tearing over the max refresh rate of monitor ? would this explain how I noticed tearing when the FPS were capped at 60? its all so confusing as you'd think limiting below what its supposed to be would guarantee no tearing. but that's how I noticed it at first. makes my head hurt wondering how I can now exceed that rate yet still get no tearing lol.. but again like I previously mentioned Technology never did have to make sense lol I included a small video of the game with Enhanced Sync on. maybe you can watch a few minutes and see if you notice tearing. unfortunately it did not record the overlay from AMD, but the entire game FPS did not drop below 74, on average was 90s, and spiked a few times to like 130s.. if dropped to 30fps just during the into load screen when we fist start a hunt. Video with Enhanced Sync on

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Oh so in layman's terms, it lets me max out the FPS without adding to the possibility of tearing over the max refresh rate of monitor ?
Yes, that's the gist of it.

its all so confusing as you'd think limiting below what its supposed to be would guarantee no tearing.
See my comment a few posts up. You can get tearing with fps lower than refresh rate the same as of it's higher than refresh rate. And even if fps is the same as refresh rate, but not synced.

If you were to cap framerate lower than refresh rate with enhanced sync enabled you'd actually guarantee you'd always have tearing (as enhanced sync only eliminates tearing above refresh rate).

Solution

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
ok that may explain the low FPS on first few test as thinking back I think for the ones I had Sync on I did have FPS capped. guess either way I am happy that it seems less tearing ( although after watching the video I think there is still a little) I wonder. If I turned the Enhanced Sync on yet capped FPS say at 70 or 80 would that work even better, this way it allows Enhanced Sync to exceed refresh rate but not by a ton . I guess more testing is in the future lol but at least now I understand it somewhat better. I had the gist of it already but wasn't sure really how to set it up or how it worked etc.. before I think I had the FPS capped and used the Enhanced Sync. so maybe that's why I had such bad first time results.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
ok =) I wont.. thanks for the help . did you by chance see the video? if so, do you notice much tearing? Im not much of a gamer myself, and I'm happy with how it looks , but I am a stickler for wanting things to be the best they can be lol ..

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
oh ok hehe.. I kind of wondered that as well because the resolution doesn't seem so sharp on the video either and that may be recorded before it even hits the TV screen. (which is most likely the case) .. either way thank you very much for helping me better understand what I was doing and I think for now anyways Ill leave it just as Enhanced Sync (without limiting FPS like I had before) which was my mistake clearly as I wasn't sure what the Enhanced Sync really was, other than what I could find online but no where does it really say not to limit frame rates that I could find, so I limited to 60 and by default AMD card turns on that Enhanced Sync ( it tells you its recommended to turn on ) but anyway I think I got a better gip on it now.. thanks again

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Status
Not open for further replies.