AMD Enters SSD Market in Partnership with OCZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Wow that is weird. Looks like AMD might be selling their own computers since they make everything to put together such. CPU, motherboard, GPU, Memory, SSD.

Though I'm not crazy about the logo slapped into the middle, it would likely be hidden in a drive bay anyway, I do like the overall pattern on it.
Honestly dont know too much about SSDs, do I dont know how quality the drive itself is, like the looks though.

Shneiky

Distinguished
I feel so bad about the ATI guys. Back in the old days, Radeon was a name to be proud of. Radeon RAM, Radeon SSD, what is next? Radeon "Gaming" snacks and "Radeon Peanuts - Gamer's performance edition"....

If the snacks are cheap I would buy them...
In all honesty though I agree with you, though I would like cheap food.

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Interesting, are they doing this because they are loosing the CPU battle?

Maybe they just want to diversify? Even though I use core i5 myself, I saw my friend's AMD CPU built computer and it is no slouch and didn't cost as much as mine did.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
I do like the overall pattern on it.
Me too, it really catches the eye.
Though, I would have preferred to see them coming out with their own design, leaving the manufacturing to another company (Samsung maybe), instead of plain re-badging.

Ehh, its a start in the right direction (if such a thing exists) at least.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Knowing that OCZ filed for bankruptcy to avoid mass lawsuits regarding the faulty controllers they put into the entire Vertex line, I doubt I'll ever buy anything affiliated with that company. I bought exactly 3 OCZ SSD's between 2012-2013 and all of them failed.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Really with what AMD is doing for me right now, I'm so thankful for them. I don't believe how helpful they are. In my opinion, they really do care about us 'gamers' and aren't just in to take over any market they can get their hands on like most other companies. If you want any more info on what they're helping me with pm me. It's quite an unbelievable story that even I would think is a lie.

Maybe they just want to diversify? Even though I use core i5 myself, I saw my friend's AMD CPU built computer and it is no slouch and didn't cost as much as mine did.
This is something i've tried to explain to people for 3 years now. I work with top of the line i5s/i7s and even cheepo i3's daily... and i go home to a fx8 core. There really isn't much difference. not that the end user can see anyway.

SPLWF

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Knowing that OCZ filed for bankruptcy to avoid mass lawsuits regarding the faulty controllers they put into the entire Vertex line, I doubt I'll ever buy anything affiliated with that company. I bought exactly 3 OCZ SSD's between 2012-2013 and all of them failed.
Funny because I still own a Vertex 30GB and it's still running strong. I also own a Solid 3 60Gb (on my gaming PC running only Skyrim and mods) and and Agility 3 120Gb (in my laptop). All three still running strong with NO problems.

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
Knowing that OCZ is making the SSD's won't bring as many customers in if it was just AMD. I was wondering what every happened to that possible buy out for OCZ. I guess nobody wanted them.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i would put my name on quality products, hell, i would lend it to people who prove to be reliable and a decent deal... this way amd becomes more known, and when people think of a new pc they think of amd, unlike right now where people really only know about intel.

OCZ is probably one of the best company when it comes to customer support. I had a power supply having capacitor thicking. They could have saidscrew you, but they exchange the unit... with a BETTER one.

And they just did again. My Vertex 4 was not recognize on my laptop anymore. It was on my desktop, but not the laptop. They just told me to send it back and they are sending me a Vertex460. Seriously guys, you cannot say this from others hardware makers out there.

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

Yea but if they didn't offer at least really good customer support it would have been even worse so.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
OCZ is probably one of the best company when it comes to customer support. I had a power supply having capacitor thicking. They could have saidscrew you, but they exchange the unit... with a BETTER one.

And they just did again. My Vertex 4 was not recognize on my laptop anymore. It was on my desktop, but not the laptop. They just told me to send it back and they are sending me a Vertex460. Seriously guys, you cannot say this from others hardware makers out there.
Well they need to have good customer support considering their failure rates. They have the highest SSD failure rate and one of the highest RAM failure rates. I'm sure people will chime in with their anecdotal stories about how they own a dozen OCZ products and none have failed but that isn't the norm. There is a reason they filed for bankruptcy, a reason they have the highest volume of SSD refurbs on the market, and a reason why their failure rates are significantly higher than all the other top brands.

Hint: It's because they make a poor quality product.

If AMD was serious about offering a quality product (and not just filling a market segment) they would have gone with someone besides OCZ.

I mean think about the example I quoted. Failed power supply, failed SSD, and you're happy because they replaced it. I've been running SSDs 24/7 in my systems that are always on since 2009. One Intel, three Crucial, and three Samsung drives. None have failed and the two oldest were just sold this year after 5 (Intel X-25) and 4 (Crucial C300) years of continuous operation. Power supplies? I've had two Corsair HX 1000W power supplies in operation since 2009 as well, neither has even hiccuped.

Computer hardware should not fail regularly, if you have anything other than one fluke failure you need to seriously consider your brand and product choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.