News AMD EPYC 7742 Battles Intel Xeon in Benchmarks Posted Online

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I am inexpert, but it seems a very bad look for intel...a sound defeat with some vulnerable legacy software moats still in effect.

But it is only part of the story, and the rest is much worse afaik.

Lanes, bandwidth, memory size, power?, density....

Ironically, a rare exciting technology they DO have - Optane, is better suited to lane/memory rich Epyc.

Feb 14, 2019
Won't comment or question performance other than looking at the power of 225 Watts, I question that, just compared to the 32 Core AMD CPU, it has twice the CPU's 4x the memory and higher base frequency and it uses only 20 Watts more? That I question!!!!

Aug 6, 2019
THAT is one serious CPU, holy crap. I absolutely don't need it for anything, but I would LOVE to build a system around that beauty.

crysis2

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
That's a server chip... why would you need this? You need the compute for your own AI pet project?
guess he already said he has no usage for such cpu!
I am inexpert, but it seems a very bad look for intel...a sound defeat with some vulnerable legacy software moats still in effect.

But it is only part of the story, and the rest is much worse afaik.

Lanes, bandwidth, memory size, power?, density....

Ironically, a rare exciting technology they DO have - Optane, is better suited to lane/memory rich Epyc.
well at twice and even more core it has done nothing impressive(don't get me wrong all those benchmark results are impressive but it is exactly what you expect from a 64 core /128 thread cpu!)
Also waiting for IBM power 9 22 core 176 thread CPU!

Aug 6, 2019
That's a server chip... why would you need this? You need the compute for your own AI pet project?

Yeah like I said, I have no need for it whatsoever! Though it would be nice to build a pc for machine learning and see how well it does.

crysis2

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
Yeah like I said, I have no need for it whatsoever! Though it would be nice to build a pc for machine learning and see how well it does.
Or you could build one around intel 56 core /112 thread new cpu(if i could afford it i'll do it)

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

There are a number of folks who CAN use a chip like this. Anyone doing any sort of rendering, data processing, or analysis work that can utilize multiple cores will benefit from such a chip. Believe it or not, some people also run servers from their home or businesses.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
looking at the power of 225 Watts, I question that, just compared to the 32 Core AMD CPU, it has twice the CPU's 4x the memory and higher base frequency and it uses only 20 Watts more? That I question!!!!
It's fabricated on 7 nm vs. 14 nm for the EPYC 7601. We don't know the memory technology, but since both CPUs have 8 channels, it's reasonable to assume that's also on a smaller manufacturing node. And if that's the CPU you're talking about, it's a 45 W delta.

Also, they significantly improved the efficiency of the Infinity Fabric. That was a significant (if not the dominant) power hog, in the first generation EPYC. I remember seeing some slide where they said how much, but I'm not finding it.

Reactions: joeblowsmynose