AMD equivalent to Intel

BWG Riot

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017
Hi i was looking at an intel cpu for gaming, specifically the intel i5- 8500 and wanted to know the equivalent for AMD. The reason i want the equivalent in the first place is because i dont want to have to change my motherboard to meet the needs for an intel cpu. Thanks for all the help

This is my MOBO btw: ASRock MB-970EX4 Socket AM3+/ AMD 990FX/ AMD Quad CrossFireX& nVidia Quad SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

Solution
I also advocate going the AMD route, not because I think that there is anything wrong with your upgrade idea, but because I sense that you are on a budget and I think that AMD's platform offers you a better alternative for the price.

My advice is to drop the idea of something like an i5 8400 level of performance. Instead, just focus on getting onto the AM4 platform, that has long term support built in. You can't say that at all about Intel's platform.

Get a Ryzen 3 2200G, a B350 motherboard, and 8 GB of DDR4. That will save you some money, and give you a good performance boost over what you have, but more importantly it gets you onto AM4, which means that you can upgrade, at any time between now and 2020, to a much faster Ryzen 5 or...

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
The equivalent to the i5 8500 series is Ryzen 5 2600/2600x but the AMD has 6 Core 12 threads where as Intel on has 6 core 6 threads. If you go with AMD you will have to change your MB as the Ryzen chips are AM4.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
You are restricting yourself by not getting a new Motherboard.

You will not get anything in an AM3+ socket that will be equivalent.
The equivalent will be a Ryzen 2600.

The Best AM3+ CPU will be FX-9590 but you need to watch out for cooling requirements.
The FX-83xx series will also be ok, but performance will be about equivalent to i5-3470

If you need the performance then you will have to upgrade mobo and RAM.

At this point, you're going to have to upgrade across the board if you want to go beyond your 990FX based mobo. I say this as the owner of an FX8350 also on a 990FX board. Given that the platform is 7+ years old, there's no sense buying anything new for it unless you have no other choice. Don't get me wrong here as I do thoroughly enjoy and have had outstanding performance from my build but it's 6 years old and I'm planning on a complete rebuild soon. You should expect to do the same.

What CPU are you using now?

BWG Riot

Honorable
Jul 5, 2017

I have an amd fx-8350. So lets say I want to get the i5- 8500. what should i get along with it that I dont already have?

My build:

GEFORCE® GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G

AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor

Sceptre 32" LED Curved Widescreen Monitor

Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Blue 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5inch Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)

Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1866C10 Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 240-pin SDRAM Memory

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Mid Tower Chassis, Black Cases PH-ES515P_BK

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 120-G1-0650-XR 650W 80 PLUS Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply

Asus DRW-24B1STA 24X Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black), Bulk

ASRock MB-970EX4 Socket AM3+/ AMD 990FX/ AMD Quad CrossFireX& nVidia Quad SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

I also advocate going the AMD route, not because I think that there is anything wrong with your upgrade idea, but because I sense that you are on a budget and I think that AMD's platform offers you a better alternative for the price.

My advice is to drop the idea of something like an i5 8400 level of performance. Instead, just focus on getting onto the AM4 platform, that has long term support built in. You can't say that at all about Intel's platform.

Get a Ryzen 3 2200G, a B350 motherboard, and 8 GB of DDR4. That will save you some money, and give you a good performance boost over what you have, but more importantly it gets you onto AM4, which means that you can upgrade, at any time between now and 2020, to a much faster Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 processor. You can get on the AM4 platform for $250-300, get better performance than your FX, and have a clear upgrade path.

Upgrading is expensive right now thanks to RAM prices, so if the i5 approach is out of your price range, you'll be better served going with a lower spec CPU. ANYTHING new that is on the market is faster than your FX CPU. You could apply my idea with an i3, but you might be restricted to just this generation of Intel's Core CPUs, so upgrading is more of a pain later.

Hope that helps.

Solution

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
I concur with the above posts, if you've got budget concerns, AMD is probably the best bang for the buck. You should be able to get in and out for under $300. But again, as stated above, you're basically buying the freedom to upgrade to any of the new Ryzens for the next 2+ years without needing all new hardware to support it, unlike Intel. That's worth it's weight in gold in my opinion.

I, too, would suggest sticking with AMD for the sake of cost and performance being pretty much a wash. Depending on what you're looking for in terms of that, there's a wide range from which to choose. Ryzen CPUs are outstanding value and are capable of handling anything you need.

At a minimum, you're looking at a new CPU, mobo, and DDR4 RAM. Everything else should be a hot swap. How much funding do you have to work with for your upgrade? Unless you give us something, we can speculate all day and potentially be pretty far off base to what's relevant for you.

poopflinger

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
No matter what route you take to upgrade, as long you're getting a new motherboard, you're going to need a new copy of windows 10 as well, since all you had previously was the OEM version and not the retail version. So, add roughly $100 to any of the estimates you're seeing here.

Or watch this video - and get it from where I buy mine from - never had a problem!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wySid9MPaqY