AMD Exec Resigns, Company Moves 7nm Chip Production To TSMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hetzbh_

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
7nm GPU "later this year"???
Next week will be September, which leaves 4 months until the end of the year and yet, no leaks about NAVI....

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I'm not convinced there's anything unusual, here. AMD is just more in the spotlight, these days, so moves like these get more attention. In similar sized companies, executives come & go and are shuffled around at a pretty decent pace.

You might even say that a small price they pay for their big compensation packages is poor job security.

alextheblue

Distinguished

In 2018? Link? I heard consumer versions were following in 2019 (or skipping to Navi depending on the rumor).

aerik109

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

Vega 20 Consumer cards will be available in q4, but will not outperform Turing.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I think @Gillerer means that it will initially go into their machine learning and datacenter products. That's all they've publicly committed to do with it. Since it uses (up to) 4 stacks of HBM2, it might not be cost-competitive, in the consumer market.

Even if they cut back to just 2 stacks, I think the current Vega dGPUs are hitting a price floor that's keeping them from being truly cost-competitive with current pricing on Pascal products.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Source?

AMD already said it's only 1.35x as fast as Vega 14 nm, so nobody should expect miracles.

Aug 1, 2018
Gosh, what a blow to GF. I hope they're okay. And I hope this was a call based on expected demand compared to R&D-cost, rather than an R&D-failure.

Aug 1, 2018
Apparently, as hoped, it was a strategic decision. To deploy 7nm (and the following shrinks) on a profitable scale, GF would have to build at least one new fab worth around 10b$. Probably more. The investment would be too big, considering their position and also considering the good profitability and demand for 14nm. Thus, they will milk the profitable 14nm. A wise decision, probably. I have a feeling 14nm will be the last good node on silicon.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Yeah, I sometimes wonder when we'll hit a point where the usable life of chips starts shrinking to less than the typical upgrade period.

35% more performance and 30% faster... rumor at 65-70% performances increase.

Also, these cards are not consumer grade, they are client based and specific for data centers. Don`t hope anything to fight against Turing before Navi next year.

Okay, the move out of 7nm from Global Foundry is a 180 degree turn from the last interview with the president. It is a really bad news for AMD because it limit their window of opportunity, however, I am glad they just decided to go TSMC.

As long as Ryzen is still on 7nm and the roadmap is unchanged, it is going to be fine with them.

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
GF is in my town. They just announced 'hundreds' of layoffs (out of about 3400 employees) associated with this shift. Not good for the locals.

What they say and what could be are very different. One variant might not affect them but another could.

The issue is going to be capacity. If TSMC now has to push out 7nm for Apple, nVidia and AMD it might be a tight squeez and I am sure Apple and nVidia will get first dibs since I am sure they signed to do it already.

That said, GF halting everything beyond 14nm/12nm is interesting. They claim its to squeeze every bit of performance out of it but I am willing to bet they are running into similar issues Intel has been on 10nm. This is why two things need to happen.

1. New material that can scale beyond 14nm well

2. transistor stacking.

Otherwise we might just hit a very tall and solid wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.