News AMD Execs Cash Big Bonus Checks While Intel's Take Pay Cuts

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
Seems like TH is becoming a tabloid.

Frankly I find both the headline and the article is overstating the bonuses to the AMD people, not saying a million is not money but for someone at the head of a tech company it isn't "big", "hefty" or "substantial".

The headline could have been something like "AMD being really competitive means bonuses for employees while at Intel they get pay cuts", after which the story could have gone being factual and not tabloid garbage.

TH - you must be better than this. Else what is next - Fake news?

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
If AMD doesn't announce layoffs, I'm learning for this. Lisa Su has done an amazing job and I love her as a spokeswoman. When she speaks, she just radiates intelligence

AMD also was brought from a really low position to a pretty good one. They got Intel to panic. Ryzen also probably kept Sony and Microsoft buying AMD-based processors for their game consoles.

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
Not surprising. AMD is doing a really smart business with 'chiplets' at the center of their innovation, reducing costs across the board while maintaining good yields and running a healthy business, unaffected by the industry collapsing around the trend of "inflation".

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

Frankly I find both the headline and the article is overstating the bonuses to the AMD people, not saying a million is not money but for someone at the head of a tech company it isn't "big", "hefty" or "substantial".

The headline could have been something like "AMD being really competitive means bonuses for employees while at Intel they get pay cuts", after which the story could have gone being factual and not tabloid garbage.

I found myself thinking is that all she gets.

Foeke

Honorable
Jul 10, 2017

Find out now how the i3 beats the Ryzen 9!!! Click here to learn more (spoiler the i3 beats it on Price).

Reactions: OneMoreUser

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
AMD's current situation is based on decisions AMD made several years ago. So is Intel's. A point to remember. Apologies for the Intel Corp seem fairly lame, imo.

Executive management can't avert an industry-wide downturn; but what they can do is anticipate it and position the company to weather it well. If AMD's executive team has done that then they deserve some bonuses.

It's the executive teams for companies that execute poorly and fail badly in downturns...even in peak market demand periods for that matter...who don't deserve the bonuses they only too often pull in.

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
"[Intel] recently told employees that it will reverse its pay cuts later this year. " I'm betting my left testicle that this is a lie that will come to light "later this year". This Intel statement is just a tactic to keep employees from leaving, or worse, switching sides to a competing company. When Intel doesn't "reverse pay" later this year, I'm curious how they are going to spin this story then. I'll just have to wait for it.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
This is how it's supposed to be.. do well and get paid; don't do well and don't get paid.

As I commented before on the Intel article, the pay reductions will likely have the same effect as a layoff except they'll lose the top 10% through attrition rather than the bottom 10% through intention.

Seeing this headline is going to push Intel's top performers over to AMD all the faster.

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
Stock down 40% in a year and the CEO makes off with 1 million $.

Unbelievable.
Their stocks match the value from two years ago, the Intel stocks are only 40% of what they was two years ago. So AMD are doing bway etter than Intel, besides what tech isn't down.

And more importantly AMD is making money and putting out great products which sell. Their 2022 revenue was 23.6 billion $, up 44% from 2021, and their income was over a billion $. Seems to me a million in bonus for the CEO is fine.

Reactions: overlord
Feb 12, 2023
Only one million? she deserves much more than this puny bonus. She literally saved the company from the brink of bankruptcy and brought new sources of revenue. She should have a shrine at AMD headquarters.
For a reminder, this is what I call scandalous compensation:
For example, when former HP CEO Mark Hurd was fired in the wake of a sexual harassment scandal, he walked away with $30 million. His successor, Leo Apotheker, was let go with a $7.2 million cash severance, a $2.4 million bonus, and $18 million in company stock. And fired CEO Carly Fiorina was given a $20 million severance package when she and HP parted ways back in 2005. All these guys brought down their company and got away with indecent golden parachutes when their employees got thrown like toilet paper.
So this ridiculously small bonus is paltry.

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001
Only one million? she deserves much more than this puny bonus. She literally saved the company from the brink of bankruptcy and brought new sources of revenue. She should have a shrine at AMD headquarters.
For a reminder, this is what I call scandalous compensation:
For example, when former HP CEO Mark Hurd was fired in the wake of a sexual harassment scandal, he walked away with $30 million. His successor, Leo Apotheker, was let go with a $7.2 million cash severance, a $2.4 million bonus, and $18 million in company stock. And fired CEO Carly Fiorina was given a $20 million severance package when she and HP parted ways back in 2005. All these guys brought down their company and got away with indecent golden parachutes when their employees got thrown like toilet paper.
So this ridiculously small bonus is paltry.

Speaking of 🧻 Ex Intel CEO - Brian Krzanich 😬
https://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/2018/04/intel_ceos_pay_tops_21_million.html