News AMD Expected to Become TSMC's Second Largest Customer

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
All the power is still in TSMC's favor. This won't give AMD any better pricing or terms. There's A LOT of demand and TSMC is holding all the supply. TSMC could tell AMD to go pound sand and they would have those wafer starts sold to another company by the end of the day.

Reactions: renz496

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Intel announced a DARPA partnership today, which uses its eASIC chips. Up until now these have been built at TSM, with 16nm being the most recent node. The announcement says Intel will be building DARPA eASIC projects on Intel's 10nm. Perhaps this is a first glimpse of a "built in the USA" promotion.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
I see GlobalFoundaries is still making poor decisions.
What do you mean still? They made that decision in 2018... to not fight for the avant-garde tech crown and as far as the reports go, they are doing profit for the first time in years making tech on older nodes. You might need to inform yourself better...

We as custumers might want and like to have another cutting edge foundry, but as far as they care, they are making more $$$ now, than before when they were trying to compete.

Co BIY

Splendid
if AMD becomes TSMC's second-largest customer, it will be far easier for the company to secure chip supply from the world's largest contract maker of semiconductors, which will force Nvidia to order chips at Samsung Foundry.

While the first is possibly true (Not entirely clear why this would be the case). I'm sure the second is not true. In fact the article gave some reasons that could drive Nvidia to source more production at TSMC rather than less.

Interesting that even intel is such a large and growing TSMC customer.

TSMC is doing amazingly well. The only threat to them is a large cyclical downturn which has been common in semiconductors. OTOH they are positioned to weather that with their large single-source fabless customers which gives them a demand stability similar to Samsung or intel.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
You never know what to believe on the Internet anymore--I read a couple of months ago that AMD had already displaced Apple as TSMC's largest customer through AMD's 2021 advance bookings...

You never know what to believe on the Internet anymore--I read a couple of months ago that AMD had already displaced Apple as TSMC's largest customer through AMD's 2021 advance bookings...
That may have been referring specifically to them being the largest customer on TSMC's 7nm node, since Apple has already started transitioning their products to 5nm.

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
It makes sense. AMD Ryzen 5000 series was hot and the performance was amazing. AMD GPUs are sold out. AMD is also in the PS4, PS5, and a whole bunch of Xboxes. With the Playstation and Xbox, it might not be AMD-specific chips but chips built upon an AMD license

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
That may have been referring specifically to them being the largest customer on TSMC's 7nm node, since Apple has already started transitioning their products to 5nm.

Apple's 5nm production won't even be a patch on TSMC's total 7nm production--in fact, TSMC's 5nm production this year will be far lower than their 7nm production. But, the article I read stated that AMD had specifically knocked off Apple as TSMC's largest customer in 2021 through advance reserved capacity bookings for 2021 TSMC production. So, who knows....? I don't really care, but considering how large the demand is for AMD products it wouldn't surprise me at all.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
It was only for the 7nm node, and that's because Apple moved on to 5nm.

Apple's 5nm production won't even be a patch on TSMC's total 7nm production--in fact, TSMC's 5nm production this year will be far lower than their 7nm production.
Apple's latest smartphones and M1-based laptops have already been using processors built on the 5nm node since their release last fall. Most of their processor production has likely shifted to 5nm already.

And according to this analytics firm's report, they are expecting 5nm to account for 5% of global 12" wafer production this year, while 7nm will account for 11%...

Over half of that 5nm production is expected to go to Apple, whereas over a quarter of 7nm production is expected to go to AMD. That estimate would place total 5/7nm wafer production roughly similar between the two companies, with Apple being a little ahead when their remaining 7nm production is taken into account, but with the bulk of their production being on 5nm, they will undoubtedly be paying significantly more per wafer.

TRENDING THREADS