Question AMD Expo 1 Cold Boot Fail ?

Jan 25, 2023
Hello,

My new computer is driving me mad with Expo 1 Cold Boot Fail

Spec = Asus X670E-F, latest bios 805
CPU= AMD 7700x
Memory=G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series (AMD Expo) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96 1.35V

So when I set my bios to EXPO1 it sets the memory to 6000 as expected, and starts up ok, if I leave pc 24hours the first boot will fail (pc does nothing ) I have to hold down the reset button, then second time it will boot.
Last night I tried changing the ram voltage to 1.42 as per some "advice" on reddit and it booted, then this morning it will not boot at all no matter how many resets.
I realise that tonight I will have to reset the CMOS to fix this and start again.

Does anyone know how I can fix this and get the full 6000 speed I have paid for, rather than leaving it on auto where it sets to 4800. So annoying as otherwise it's a lovely build.

I am also wondering if the memory is at fault and another brand would fix it? My suspicion is that it would do the same regardless of memory and the issue is with the ASUS bios.

Look forward to hearing from you experts.

try with those values
  • CPU SOC Voltage: 1.325V ->1.375
  • CPU VDDIO / MC Voltage: 1.41V -> 1.43
  • MISC Voltage: 1.25V ->1.15
  • VDDP: 1.09 -> 1.1v
  • DRAM VDD Voltage: 1.35V -> 1.435
  • DRAM VDDQ Voltage: 1.35V -> 1.435
  • VDDG: 1150mV -> 0.90
you can reduce it later on if if helps with cold boot

Reactions: Loutish
Jan 25, 2023
try with those values

Will try later, also I found this

One other tweak I made to the BIOS was to do the following change (courtesy of planetbeing on the Asus forums):
"I finally found the corresponding BIOS (for Crosshair X670E Extreme) and Ryzen Master settings. In the Asus BIOS, the setting is hidden under Advanced -> AMD Overclocking -> Accept -> DDR and Infinity Fabric Frequency/Timings -> Infinity Fabric Frequency and Dividers -> UCLK DIV1 Mode -> UCLK=MEMCLK. Basically, the alternative is to run UCLK at half the speed of MEMCLK (this is what the default setting of Auto does) and that is suboptimal. In Ryzen Master, the setting is called UCLK Mode and it's set to On if UCLK=MEMCLK."
I think setting UCLK=MEMCLK is what might have finally done it, but we'll see.

People seem to have had some success with this.

Jan 25, 2023
try with those values

So very strange, got in last night, started pc - and this time it booted haing failed in the morning, I reset CMOS anyway, tried those settngs, off which some I'm not sure are relevant to my board, anyway the boot failed with a RED CPU error, so I reset CMOS again, set CLK Mode and it's set to On if UCLK=MEMCLK, and reset EXPO1, and it booted and ran all night fine. Will see how the cold boot is later.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
Hello,

My new computer is driving me mad with Expo 1 Cold Boot Fail

Spec = Asus X670E-F, latest bios 805
CPU= AMD 7700x
Memory=G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series (AMD Expo) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96 1.35V

So when I set my bios to EXPO1 it sets the memory to 6000 as expected, and starts up ok, if I leave pc 24hours the first boot will fail (pc does nothing ) I have to hold down the reset button, then second time it will boot.
Last night I tried changing the ram voltage to 1.42 as per some "advice" on reddit and it booted, then this morning it will not boot at all no matter how many resets.
I realise that tonight I will have to reset the CMOS to fix this and start again.

Does anyone know how I can fix this and get the full 6000 speed I have paid for, rather than leaving it on auto where it sets to 4800. So annoying as otherwise it's a lovely build.

I am also wondering if the memory is at fault and another brand would fix it? My suspicion is that it would do the same regardless of memory and the issue is with the ASUS bios.

Look forward to hearing from you experts.

I didn't want to touch any setting that I didn't understand so just used EXPO 1 profile on BIOS to OC 6000 RAM on 4800 native slots, and it failed to boot with a message indicating incompatible components. While looking for an answer I found this thread, but still didn't understand whole voltage thing, or afraid to tweak them. So I decided to update BIOS with the latest one since its note mentions memory compatibility, and it solved the issue. Here are a little bit more details just FYI. Nothing else has been touched.

Windows 11 Pro

Ryzen 7 7700X

Gigabyte B650M ds3h
Initial BIOS :F2
Updated BIOS: F4h

G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000 CL36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5

Reactions: Loutish
Jan 25, 2023
I didn't want to touch any setting that I didn't understand so just used EXPO 1 profile on BIOS to OC 6000 RAM on 4800 native slots, and it failed to boot with a message indicating incompatible components. While looking for an answer I found this thread, but still didn't understand whole voltage thing, or afraid to tweak them. So I decided to update BIOS with the latest one since its note mentions memory compatibility, and it solved the issue. Here are a little bit more details just FYI. Nothing else has been touched.

Windows 11 Pro

Ryzen 7 7700X

Gigabyte B650M ds3h
Initial BIOS :F2
Updated BIOS: F4h

G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000 CL36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately a bios update on the ASUS Board did not fix it for me,. What has fixed it to a degree is clearing the bios, activating EXPO1 and using the UCLK=MEMCLK setting above. My PC has not had a failed boot since, although after a week it did have a hissy fit for no apparent reason other than a possible corrupted windoze update. I removed the update, reset CMOS again and added MEMCLK setting again and system is stable, except for the odd crash with MW2, which I think is more likely the software. I have run some tweaks on MW2 but have not had time to test fully. I did do a full Prime CPU stress test for an hour and a Memory stress test for an hour with zero fails. I am hoping the hissy fit was just due to the windows update and I am not back to square one.

I did reach out to GSync who more or less sent me a standard reply, saying reset cmos, resit ram, activate EXPO1 and reboot. This does not work without the MEMCLK setting. So glad I found that online.

The joys of bleeding edge tech.

TRENDING THREADS