AMD Finally Finishes Mantle Drivers, Will Be Available Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
From what i've seen. Mantle is not what i expected it to be. For people who have already powerful cpus, mantle isn't going to benefit them. Kinda sad since i bought a 7870(and put into my steam machine) to try it out. It benefits crossfire, and anemic cpu's.

Casper Larsen

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

And we haven't see how many developers are going to take advantage.

We are still in wait and see mode. I said this to everybody who is always saying that people should change to either AMD or Intel based on a new soon to be released new tech, software or whatever.

We are terrible at predicting and producers always overestimate the effects.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Now HERE is an article on the subject (with actual information on the subject):http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/amd-almost-rolls-out-mantle-its-high-performance-alternative-to-direct3d-and-opengl/

derpderpderp

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Why the hate? Jealous that it took AMD 1-2 years to make versus 30 years from Microsoft? Ummm its FREE and the gains are amazing! As it matures it will get better!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Why the hate? Jealous that it took AMD 1-2 years to make versus 30 years from Microsoft? Ummm its FREE and the gains are amazing! As it matures it will get better!
MS and the OpenGL group worked from the infancy of computer gaming to make their APIs, AMD pretty much just took their hard worked for knowledge and ran with it with some improvements. Improvements that would have probably shown up in DX and OpenGL anyway. It's the same with every startup, most of them take what others have created from the ground up and jump up from that level, once the ground work is laid it gets easier if you are creative enough. It's not wrong or bad but you make it seem as if any company could have made Mantle 30 years ago even though it was completely impossible to do.

mstngs351

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Now HERE is an article on the subject (with actual information on the subject):http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/amd-almost-rolls-out-mantle-its-high-performance-alternative-to-direct3d-and-opengl/
You mean actual numbers from AMD/Dice? Toms has already covered that info and considering it's from the people developing it... well it means little. "Until independent testing can take place—which won't happen until the driver is finally made available - the benefits of Mantle are uncertain..."

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

What are you talking about? Go check the battlelog, and look up 'mantle'.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Mantle did what it said it was. Lower cpu overhead. there isn't much else to see.

There are some pretty weak anti-Mantle arguements on the Battlefield benchmarks forum, like "Why did I have to download this?"
Come'on, the patch just enabled Mantle. It was already in the game.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

jin_mtvt

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Djentleman : wow talk about being shortminded. And just what do you believe having a lower cpu overhead will lead too ? Well Guess ...i won't tell you ... Are you guys seriously judging a new API on its first driver , title and GPUs ???how ridiculous are you ? Be patient, let the PRO's do their work ..if it already shows some improvement( remember how maybe bashers were "hoping" it would only get a few % ) it will be tuned for even more in the future. Think SMART , think S-MART . Ah yeah and also, if u can't think of any other important improvement than FPS well ....

Casper Larsen

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

Who is hating? Some of us are just saying that we should make sweeping statements about how awesome something is before anybody gets to try it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
From what i've seen. Mantle is not what i expected it to be. For people who have already powerful cpus, mantle isn't going to benefit them. Kinda sad since i bought a 7870(and put into my steam machine) to try it out. It benefits crossfire, and anemic cpu's.
It's not just about increasing framerate. That's the measuring stick many reviewers will use, but developers can see other benefits. Yes, Mantle can be used to reduce CPU overhead, but it also can be used to increase the number of draws drastically, or some combination of the two. It can also enable better looking effects within the same performance envelope, eventually. A lot of what it does depends on how the developer wants to use it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-apu-developer-conference-mantle,25079.html

Anyway, for the average joe it's easier to drop in a new GPU than it is to upgrade the processor (if your OEM board even supports much of a CPU upgrade). So if it lifts weight off the aging CPU, it's like you've upgraded both just by using Mantle + GCN. Perhaps even more so if you get a TrueAudio capable card, taking additional sweat off the CPU. Hopefully with the next refresh they'll be using a newer GCN across the board with TrueAudio.

Casper Larsen

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

*Says AMD.

Just saying. Lets not speak as if this is a confirmed fact!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS