AMD finally getting some respect at MS?

owellwhatever

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
AMD fans will be happy to know that next week the first ever AMD systems, made by Compaq (HP), will become standard on Microsoft main campus. Don't ask how I know... :)

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I'm going to assume you mean the first ever AMD <i>hammer</i> systems? Otherwise, MS would be getting some very, very ancient AMD 286's or the like. :wink:

If it really is Hammer systems, that almost makes me wish I hadn't turned down an MS recruiter some 5-6 years ago. Almost, but not quite.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>

eden

Champion
Why are you assuming Hammer?
I would've thought some AXPs, since Compaq and HP ARE making an AMD OEM system using Nforce, Business IT machine, has been talked about in a Rant-O-Matic article a few months ago.

--
What made you choose your THG Community username/nickname? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A>

owellwhatever

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
The first approved systems are runnin AthlonXP 2200+ procs and have 80 gig Western Digital drives with 8mb cache, not sure on the rest of the details. Soon to be approved will be 2400+ and 2600+ models.

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
AMD is loosing ground on any recognition due to their repeated paper-launches. Their 2800+ aren't available and won't be in any realistic numbers until next year and don't even bring up the hammer chips; they won't be released until 2H03. AMD fans should be embarrassed.

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
AMD better hope their hammer chip pans out. They are betting the farm on it and it's a big risk. People can bring up the past all they want, but it doesn't change the present. I'll be the first to admit that Intel dropped the ball with the Pentium 3, but they are looking better all the time. AMD is going to have a hard time surviving if the hammer isn't the success they are hoping for. They have nearly 2 billion in debt and will loose millions more this quarter, compared to Intel's 9 billion or so cash reserves plus hundreds of millions in profit each quarter. I guess we'll see, but I'm betting on Prescott (which will be launched for real in 1Q03) to open a can of whoopass on the hammer.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Interesting Intels roadmaps still show 2H03 fr Prescott, not 1Q03.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
You may be correct. I was actually thinking about the 1262 process, which is supposed to be certified in 1Q03. The Prescott will probably come several months after that. My point is still valid though, AMD is resorting to launching prototype processors to try and give the appearance of keeping pace. Intel recently demonstrated a mp that operates at over 4GHz; would it make sense for them to publicly launch it? Real world, Intel has a comfortable lead in mp you can actually buy. And don't forget, they are still on track to launch the 3.06GHz before the end of the year.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
AMD is resorting to launching prototype processors to try and give the appearance of keeping pace.
Sadly so. HardOCP's sample wasn't even quite fully functional (no thermal diode).

Intel recently demonstrated a mp that operates at over 4GHz; would it make sense for them to publicly launch it?
Release a CPU that requires "Intel-certified" LN2 or phase change? That would be a very stupid move on Intel's part. The part may be technically capable of reaching 4GHz stable, but air-cooling requirements put a pretty hard limit on the current Northwood stepping.

Intel will need either a new .13u stepping or a .09u part to break 3.2GHz. Intel can't actually ramp .09u that fast--otherwise, why would Prescott get pushed back a quarter while everything else on Intel's roadmap is getting pushed forward?

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>