AMD: Fusion Makes Sense For Next-Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
"What we'd like to see with the next crop is a finer line drawn between consoles and PC/Macs, a platform that allows the developer to create scalable engines and games that don't focus on one particular device (console vs. PC). Even if one console used Fusion and one used Nvidia's Project Denver, we'd still be a step closer to universal development."

But that's what they do already! And it's not even quality development! You can't see the graphics quality in PS3/Xbox 360 games like you do in PC games- and that's the issue! The console developers that then port the games to PC (unlike the other way around like it should be) and then the graphics suck.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I say I will never buy consoles, because computers rocks for games with settings maxed out at 1080p !, of course if you have the right hardware. :p

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Maybe it makes sense and maybe not, but AMD is hardly unbiased on the subject. Stop the presses -- This just in:

Manufacturer: Our Product Makes Sense For Our Customers.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Oh please make the Fusion platform a beast AMD. If AMD is able to secure a spot in one of the next-gen consoles hopefully that base will give them some cash for working on Bulldozer and it will get rid of any takeover rumors that Toms keeps throwing around.

P.S. We all know consoles suck, everyone doesn't need to keep pointing it out.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]But that's what they do already! And it's not even quality development! You can't see the graphics quality in PS3/Xbox 360 games like you do in PC games- and that's the issue! The console developers that then port the games to PC (unlike the other way around like it should be) and then the graphics suck.[/citation]

Most companies will almost always develop for the console first and then port to the PC as an afterthought. I hate it, you hate it, but it makes good business sense.

I think what the author of the article is trying to say is that by bringing common PC hardware and architecture into consoles, releasing games for both consoles and PC will, hopefully, be less about "Porting" and more about a game being compatible with several similar systems.

In other words, a console would just be another PC configuration rather than an entirely different platform, which ideally means that games would more likely work natively across them without the need for translation.

G

I feel that at the rate technology is advancing, Next-Gen consoles are going to be outdated on day one of release. Just look at the Smartphone market, there's newer and better phones being released all the time. How can the console segment keep up if other markets are moving so quickly. I feel that consoles will either continue their evil reign and stall development (poor PC players :( ) or console makers are going to have to move away from developing the hardware for their consoles and just supply the software that allow the use of platform specific games.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]dcompart[/nom]I feel that at the rate technology is advancing, Next-Gen consoles are going to be outdated on day one of release. Just look at the Smartphone market, there's newer and better phones being released all the time. How can the console segment keep up if other markets are moving so quickly. I feel that consoles will either continue their evil reign and stall development (poor PC players ) or console makers are going to have to move away from developing the hardware for their consoles and just supply the software that allow the use of platform specific games.[/citation]

That means developers will have to pander to a wide audience with a wide range of hardware! The lazy bastards won't approve of such a thing.

As for fusion... I'm quite excited. I think x86 has a bit of an edge when it comes to gaming, especially dedicated gaming devices. AMD will be offering CPUs (APUs, really) that are many times faster than the crap inside a ps3 and xbox360 and a graphics card that outperforms those inside the crappy boxes as well.

In this respect it's a great thing for consoles, but not too sure how I feel about that as a PC gamer...

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Assuming the next gen consoles also support 1080p, it should allow for a much more comparable platform. Being able to natively make games across all platforms, then jsut tweak settings for performance on each, will stop all this awful port nonsense.

Make a game, allow for higher graphic settings on pc, and lower on consoles. No porting of the engine required. Sounds good to me.

neblogai

Distinguished
Doesn't make much sense. Consoles need either great GPU, or innovation in other respect- like Wii controls were. Yet, such innovations do not come often, and even less often they have success in the market. Anyway, the options currently are:
a) the usual, "power" approach- great GPU and CPU, great graphics upon launch, long product life. Fusion doesn't fit here- either chip would be too big to manufacture, or it's graphics too weak for a new console; as for the current consoles- AMD has already sold the technology and is no longer needed in "fussing" GPU and CPU chips.
b) Cloud gaming: console is not necessary- it could all run of a PC.
c) 3D gaming- double GPU power needed, which means a discrete powerful GPU.

The next gaming consoles might very well be PCs with gaming docks for cloud gaming. So AMD does not need to sell Fusion to consoles- but to create their own gaming markets off PCs.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]Assuming the next gen consoles also support 1080p, it should allow for a much more comparable platform. Being able to natively make games across all platforms, then jsut tweak settings for performance on each, will stop all this awful port nonsense. Make a game, allow for higher graphic settings on pc, and lower on consoles. No porting of the engine required. Sounds good to me.[/citation]

The PS3 and Xbox already support 1080p. In at least the Xbox's case it's scaling, but they still support it.

And FYI, sitting 20 inches from a screen is the only time you notice a difference in graphics. I sit 6'+ from my TV when I play Xbox and, while I definitely notice a difference in quality on PC (speaking of ME2 here) that is mainly in the quality of the screen. My 1080p monitor has better colors and black levels than my 1080i TV.

Everything else is negligible (with the exception of AA).

This Great Divide is superficial in anything other than an open world game like STALKER or Crysis, CPU heavy games.

But I haven't heard much about AMD's SoCs so I don't have much of an opinion on this article.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
It does make a lot of sense if you think about what they could do with improved versions of Fusion APU's. It all comes down to how they work along side their IGP equipped chipsets too though. The million dollar question is, will the APU in the Llano based processors be able to do hybrid Crossfire X with say the IGP on an 890gx or 880g chipset. Or, whatever the 990gx/980g turns out to be.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Mathos[/nom]It does make a lot of sense if you think about what they could do with improved versions of Fusion APU's. It all comes down to how they work along side their IGP equipped chipsets too though. The million dollar question is, will the APU in the Llano based processors be able to do hybrid Crossfire X with say the IGP on an 890gx or 880g chipset. Or, whatever the 990gx/980g turns out to be.[/citation]

AMD has answered that and their answer was yes. Basically, if you own a discrete AMD GPU you will be able to crossfire a fusion-based APU with the AMD GPU for added performance. Of course, there's probably lots of kinks to work out and it may be restricted as to which graphics cards you use (sort of like how crossfire outperforms SLI but only with respect to the upper end 6000 class GPUs).

if consoles get more x86 then it means better console ports for us....although they will still be ports. It would be a great boost for AMD if they were to get their parts in consoles. They have a hand in the Wii's GPU dont they?

Although this is a product promoting article. I would see how it does make sense. The APUs themselves have pretty decent processing power and graphical power. We see that in the Llano demonstration. Plus it would probably consume less power than the current consoles. But what about thermals? I know the 360 and PS3 already run hot, if you stuck a Llano in their how would thermals work out.

G

im just wondering, why cant they install xbox/playstation os as a program on the pc and play them there with a usb controller?

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Not gonna happen, console manufacturers will never be interested in an easy to hack platform, I think that's why they are so far away from x86.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I would rather prefer to say that lets get this distinction between console and PC away make games in such a way that made for one can be easily played on other without much trouble underlying hardware is almost same than why we keep them apart.

need4speeds

Distinguished
It would be nice if they make liano to work with a liano pcie card upgrade.
The liano's that end up with only one or 2 good cores but the gpu section tests out good could be used for video card apu's. Maybe they could find a way to use the cpu power from the 1 or 2 cores?
So you have a onboard liano with 4 cores/400 shaders, then a add on card with 1 core/400 shaders. The extra cpu core could help improve crossfire scaling so they system does not end up cpu limited. Crossfire boards could let you run 2 liano cards for something like 7 cpu cores/1200 shaders.
Hopefully there is crossfire with liano.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ceteras[/nom]Not gonna happen, console manufacturers will never be interested in an easy to hack platform, I think that's why they are so far away from x86.[/citation]

So its because of the instruction set in the CPU that a platform is more "hackable" and not because of all the added drm integrated into the hardware around it? /end sarcasm question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS