Amd fx 4100 and gigabyte gtx 670

eduardo96

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
I have and amd fx 4100, and i bought a gtx 670, i bought that proceessor because a didnt know about how bad it was for gaming, so my question is that i dont know if it will bottleneck with my processor, and what can i do? I cant buy intel buuild cause i dont have more money

the most you can do if you ever run into a game where the cpu will bottle neck is:

Costless wise: overclock cpu to some extent(limited by cpu cooler and ambient temperature), play while not pushing the 670 to its fullest

Cost: upgrade to a higher up bulldozer/phenom cpu or wait patiently for piledriver fx and upgrade

bottlenecks are determined by game and how far you are pushing it. it doesnt bottleneck in all games linearly.

probably not since BF3 is a cpu demanding game and the FX-4100 isnt truely a quad core but more like a 3ish core since its really 2 cores that have two physical pseudo cores that split the work together.

Uther39

Distinguished

Sadly BF3 multiplayer is the one of the few games where more cores the better as far as your CPU is concerned, for example it really likes the AMD Phenom IIs 1100t and 1090t, i think the best you can do is get a coolermaster hyper 212 evo CPU cooler for about $30, overclock your FX to 4ghz or more and wait for piledriver to come out.

But in the same breath, i wouldnt worry about it to much, BF3 will still be more than playable at 1080p high settings, you may have to mess around with the set up of the game a little but not too much.

eduardo96

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
I have to find a way of selling the processor, will a phenom x4 965 wil lbe enought to no bottleneck? I dont want to change my mobo too, to go for intel, if i have to go for intel, with build (procesor and mobo) will u recommend to no bottleneck

piledriver is just AMD's updated bulldozer(cpu you have right now) that is going to have an increase of performance(probably not i5 level, but you dont have to spend money buying a new motherboard as the Piledriver FX series is AM3+)

Uther39

Distinguished

Im sorry but thats just rubbish, i say again the bottlekneck will not be massive, and yes you will be able to play the game at high settings, but anyway before this develops into an argument, you have the FX4100 already, the GTX670 is on the way, so just slot it in and try it for yourself, im sure you will be pleasently suprised, oh and let us know the results.

eduardo96

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks man, i really appreciate all your help, i really didnt knew about how bad for gaming was my processor before i bought it, i really want to squeez the 100 hundred percent of the graphic card

xtreme5

Distinguished
@uther39, I'm not saying that fx-4100 coudn't run the game on high it will run but if you read my post clearly i was talking about multiplayer. And i think you better multiplayer takes high power of cpu.

any "real" quad core or higher probably above the 150$ price point wouldnt have bottlenecks. the I5-2500k or the 3570k wont bottle neck it definitely, left the sugesstion to wait for Piledriver FX because buying a usable say 200$ cpu is cheaper then changing the entire platform from amd to intel spending close to 300$ at the least.

its more or less relatively october. if you want the cheapest paying route, the fx 8120 and 8150 (bulldozer cpu) choices are there as they are more or less quad cores with 2 partial cores each. the performance gain isnt as great vs the i5/i7 but I wouldn't think it should bottle neck unless you decided to SLI several cards. If you are really hard on performance, you can use your 4100 for a bit of time and jump onto an FX Piledriver on its release if you were looking to not jump platforms causing a new motherboard requirement(as well as if your OS is OEM, you will need to buy a new copy of windows as well)