AMD FX-4300 5.9GHz, no overclock, is this normal?

Ade96

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
I was playing Battlefield 4 and after I quit, I checked the readings in HWMonitor. This has happened before too, but I don't remember if it was in BF4. I was curious why does this happen and should I be worried?

d6EWvKP.png

I have Cool 'n' Quiet enabled, if that makes any difference, that's why it's at 1.4GHz in idle.

Solution
Actually the best way to monitor an AMD chip is direct from AMD themselves,m with their overclocking tool Overdrive

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/over-drive

This will give you a temperature reading called "Thermal Margin". How it works is that 0 is your max temperature (In this case 0 is equal to 61 degC which is your actual max temp). The number you see is the number of degrees below max. So for example if you see your thermal margin is 45 that means you are running at only 16 deg C, however if your thermal margin is 10 that means you are at 51 deg C.

This is the most accurate way to measure. It can also track the clock speed and other things.

gervino

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I don't know if it is normal, but since the temperatures of the CPU are fine it seems like it is no problem. Free magical overclock? But probably wrong numbers from the software. Try other software to check the numbers

Ade96

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015

Sorry I accidentally selected your answer as the best solution when I meant to reply to you, is there a way to undo it?

But the temperature is at 57 celsius, it's not that bad, is it?

Are you familiar with AMD FX chips?

The package cannot exceed 55C. 42C is probably from the stock cooler. The temperature sensors in AMD CPUs are not as close to heat producing components as they are in Intel CPUs.

Best Answer unselected.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Actually the best way to monitor an AMD chip is direct from AMD themselves,m with their overclocking tool Overdrive

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/over-drive

This will give you a temperature reading called "Thermal Margin". How it works is that 0 is your max temperature (In this case 0 is equal to 61 degC which is your actual max temp). The number you see is the number of degrees below max. So for example if you see your thermal margin is 45 that means you are running at only 16 deg C, however if your thermal margin is 10 that means you are at 51 deg C.

This is the most accurate way to measure. It can also track the clock speed and other things.

Solution

I have had plenty of problems with CoreTemp. None were temperature related, but it wasn't displaying my clocks correctly at all.

It once told me that my FX 8350 was running at 12384MHz. The highest verified overclock I can get to is 7192MHz and I could only maintain that for two or three minutes before I would start to have power delivery issues because the VRMs were getting so hot.

To sum it up, I cannot recommend CoreTemp for monitoring the clock speed. Although it does a good job of monitoring the temperatures.