AMD FX 6300 CPU reaches 95 degrees C in under 30 seconds

ImmortalDoor

Commendable
May 13, 2017
Relevant System Specs

CPU: AMD FX 6300 (6 Core, 3.5 GHz)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA78LMT - USB3.0
Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

I built a server 3 years ago with these components and it worked flawlessly until 6 months ago. I had purchased two Tesla S1070 GPU units which required more PCI slots than the GA78LMT had. As such, I replaced it with a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5 Motherboard. 4 Months ago I reinstalled the GA78LMT board as the 990FXA and Tesla cards were moved into their own unit. Thats when the problem started and the CPU began to overheat. I should note the computer has simply been stored for the last four months (ie. not running) to prevent damage.

Today, I cleaned the CPU and heat sink thoroughly. Reseated the CPU back onto the GA78LMt board, applied new thermal paste, and reseated the heat sink. The heat sink contact plate runs at 95 c, meaning it and the thermal paste are working as intended. I've got two fans both running max RPM so the heat sink is getting properly cooled. Given that the hardware is working, I reset the CMOS. I also verified the CPU runs at 1.356 V (the approiate voltage for 3.5 GHz). Nothing seems to be out of line.

The strange thing is, I got a AMD Phenom II CPU to run on the 990FXA board in the new case and it also overheats just as fast. All I did was move my AMD FX 6300 from the 990FXA to the GA78LMT board and then installed the Phemon II onto the 990FXA board (both have hyper 212 coolers). The FX 6300 worked in the morning (before the switch) and then was overheating by the afternoon when I finished building both computers. Do both CPU's have a short in them? What can cause them to heat up so fast? I am about at my limit in terms of hardware diagnostics and was hoping to gain some input for people who know a lot more about this than I do.

Thanks for any info!

P.S. Please do not say the heat sinks are improperly mounted. I (and others who know more than I do) have ruled out poor heat sink installation.

ImmortalDoor

Commendable
May 13, 2017

The BIOS has been reset many times. I also only run stock clock speed for both the FX 6300 and Phenom II. When the FX 6300 hits 95 c it the GA78LMT Mobo auto reduces the voltage to 1.081 V which is about 2 GHz. I wouldn't be opposed letting the CPU crawl along on 2 GHz, but that only keeps the CPU at 95 c running the BIOS. Try booting an OS and GG. Could both motherboards have bad voltage regulator modules? In that case one is still under warranty.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

that voltage seems super high

should be closer to 1.2v

reset the cmos

Doesn't need to crawl just play with lower voltages a bit. AMD and Intel have to set the voltages a bit high to cover a wide range of bin quality. My thuban CPU stock clock is higher than im running. A small reduction in voltage can reduce heat by a lot. Try 1.325 and see if its stable.

ImmortalDoor

Commendable
May 13, 2017

Ok,

So under the PC health status of my BIOS it says Vcore = 1.356V (which it should be @ 3.5 GHz)
however, under the actual voltage controller it says the mobo is providing 1.425 V (way too much!)

I'm guessing the Vcore is stating what the voltage should be (not what it actually is). I have been reading Vcore as the actual voltage voltage when in reality the voltage under the MB Intelligent Tweaker is 1.425 which is burning up the CPU. I set it to manual voltage but the BIOS under manual mode has a fixed set of voltages I can choose from all of which exceed 1.425 (which is the wrong way). Now I just need to figure out how to get the mobo to let me decrease the voltage and that should probably solve the problem.

ImmortalDoor

Commendable
May 13, 2017
Given the motherboard input voltage could be the culprit, I did some digging online and someone else had the same problem outlined here

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/766473-Gigabyte-Ga-78-LMT-USB3-Normal-CPU-VCORE-1-425

I have read the GA78LMT manual, and have set the System Voltage Controll to manual but cannot decrease the voltage below 1.425 (or "Normal"). I might need to reflash the BIOS or just get a new Mobo if it cannot properly detect the CPU and I cannot manually adjust the voltage. Luckily, the 990FXA is still under warranty.