AMD FX-6300 In Brand New Build Running 60 C in BIOS

Jagwar8

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I recently managed to fix an issue with my system preventing startup. Now, even before I have an OS installed or any files at all, in my BIOS it shows the temp for my CPU at around 60 or so C. My CPU fan (stock) also sounds like a jet engine. I have not OC'd it at all (it is still showing the default 3.5 ghz clock. It also shows my mobo temp at around 30 C. Is it an issue with the temperature reader or is it actually that hot? The only possibilty I can think of at the moment is that I am breadboarding it since I was working out some other issues. This seems very strange and any help would be appreciated.
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Black Edition @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
Mobo: MSI 990FXA Gaming

Jagwar8

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I am using the stock cooler which has thermal paste preapplied. Could it be that before I removed the fan temporarily to check if thermal paste was on there it got screwed up somehow? Also, the cooler seems quite firm in its installation. The issue is that it is also running around 3000 rpm as well.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
You are not supposed to remove the cooler and reuse the paste, it creates air bubbles in the paste that can increase temps but I wouldn't think by that much. AMD recommends that cpu not exceed 62c core temp for any prolonged period of time under full load, so its not being cooled properly if its hitting 60c with very little load in the bios. The FX series of cpu's are almost 6 years old at this point so that pre applied paste has likely been on that cooler for quite a while, might be dry and no good. Do you have any thermal paste on hand? First thing I would try is different thermal paste.