Amd fx 6300 overclocking

kostas65g

Reputable
Feb 2, 2018
I am running an amd fx 6300 with 8 gb of corsair XMS3 ram and a GA-78-LMT usb 3 6.0 MOBO what are the best ghz and vcore for my setup?I dont worry about thermals i have a pretty good cooler and i have only 54 degrees celcious under a full stress test.

Solution

There is NO magic bullet when it comes to a "number" that works for everybody. Much like fingerprints, every single CPU, and to some extent, GPU and memory module, is an individual, with individual characteristics and properties that are not going to allow what is "normal" for one to be what is normal for another.

That is why I linked you to that overclocking tutorial. You MUST use prescribed steps to determine what YOUR cpu works best at and what it's limitations are. Even if five other chips all work well at a particular setting, it doesn't mean yours will. This is why buying a CPU is called the silicon lottery. Some win. Some lose...

kostas65g

Reputable
Feb 2, 2018
I dont know A TON about overclocking can you tell me with details what do do?I know what temps are safe and i overclocked mine at 3.8 ghz to all cores with 1.4175 vcore and it is stable

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
No two processors are the same. I strongly suggest doing a lot of reading on the subject before really trying to push your oc. Darkbreeze gave a really good link to start with and a quick google search will list even more. Each chip is different and may require different settings. My main rig has a Ryzen 1600 that is oc'd to 3.7, but it really likes to be close to 1.4 volts to do so. The rig I built for a friend is almost identical to the one in my signature and his is happy at 4.0 at 1.375 volts. It all comes down to the silicone lottery.

What I am trying to say is do the research and then start with baby steps until you get a feel for what you are doing. OC'ing is not something you just to throw together, but you have to play with by slowly bumping the multiplier then stress testing, check the voltages and so on until you get it dialed in. Also the highest oc is not always the best oc. I have an FX 8350 that gets much better Cinabench scores at 4.5 than it did at 4.7.

There is NO magic bullet when it comes to a "number" that works for everybody. Much like fingerprints, every single CPU, and to some extent, GPU and memory module, is an individual, with individual characteristics and properties that are not going to allow what is "normal" for one to be what is normal for another.

That is why I linked you to that overclocking tutorial. You MUST use prescribed steps to determine what YOUR cpu works best at and what it's limitations are. Even if five other chips all work well at a particular setting, it doesn't mean yours will. This is why buying a CPU is called the silicon lottery. Some win. Some lose. Some can achieve high overclocks using relatively low voltage, others cannot do so without a much higher voltage. Still others will not be able to achieve a equivalent overclock AT ALL, no matter what the settings.

In addition to what I linked you to before, this is a pretty go to standard across the board for both novice and weathered overclockers, so if you can't figure out the process you need to follow between these two tutorials, then you are simply looking for somebody to give you a cheat sheet that doesn't exist because the process needs to be followed in order to obtain a conclusion, or you simply are not trying, or are not capable, of comprehending the information contained in them.

Not everybody can or does. That is ok. In that case I would suggest that not overclocking is the best plan of action. I do not ever recommend using an overclocking desktop type utility with an automatic setting either. Those tend to use far higher voltages to ensure stability and rarely allow you to achieve the overclock your system is capable of, or else burns something out far sooner due to the increased voltage and heat. Thermal fatigue is what we call it.

Prime95 v26.6 is THE primarily accepted way to do the majority of baseline stability and thermal limit testing running the Small FFT option.

Prime95 Version 26.6 download

Further, you can find extensive information regarding the Intel CPU architectures and specifications at the following link which is a somewhat definitive guide on that subject. The information below is taken directly from conversations with Computronix who is also the author of the Intel temperature guide, found here:

The Intel temperature guide

For AMD systems, specifically Zen/Ryzen, this should offer similar albeit not nearly as detailed information on that architecture.

Ryzen overclocking guide

AMD FX and A series overclocking guide

This is probably about the most referred to overclocking guide around, and it's principles can be applied to a variety of generations and platforms.

The Ultimate Overclocking Guide

Solution