AMD fx 6300 overheating at 4.0 GHz

ellisdrake

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
I have just purchased and installed a new CPU cooler today with the intentions of overclocking the cooler is a coolermaster hyper tx3 evo with 2 fans (one intake and one exhaust). I did try for a 4.3GHz overclock but the temps got to 70 celcius when using prime 95 within a few seconds so i stopped the test. I then tried a 4.0GHz clock and although it didnt get as hot it still got to about 65 celcius in under 1 minute, this was with all the fans maxed out at around 2000RPM. This is just making me angry that i cant seem to get a good overclock with decent temps. Either i am doing the overclocking incorrectly or my aftermarket cooler is just not up to the task.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Solution
Firstly I never disable any of the power saving features when I am overclocking . I dont want a processor running at full speed all day wasting power and making lots more noise .

IMO use the AMD overdrive software . It will default to 1.4 volts , but thats no problem . Let it run through its tests and work out the safe OC with you new cooler . My FX 6300 clocks to 4.8 Ghz just fine , but even under a large air cooler its noisier than I am willing to accept . At 4.3 Ghz I cant hear it so thats excellent to me .
Im using a Scythe Ninja 3 cooler with a Noctua fan , but many large tower coolers will perform similarly

Once you have a stable OC using software..... and the software just alters settings in BIOS ......... you can go to BIOS...

Andrew Buck

Honorable

The TX3 Evo isn't a very high end cooler, though. Try reseating the heatsink and maybe replacing thermal paste. Formula 7 by Antec is great. Make sure to turn off adaptive voltage. Keep it at maybe 1.35 V.

As already mentioned the TX3 is not a huge cooler and not particularly good . Bound to be better than the AMD stock cooler though.

Mostly your problem is running prime95 at all . Its a pointless thing to do . No software or game will ever load your cpu like that so it tells you nothing about how your pc will operate .

Use the AMD overdrive software to clock your processor up a step at a time and find a safe level for you .

Job done .

Andrew Buck

Honorable

Yes. AMD Overdrive has a built-in stability test.

Andrew Buck

Honorable

AMD made it, so they know how to read their own temperatures, which are usually misinterpreted by applications such as HWMonitor.

ellisdrake

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I will probably send that cooler back then and buy a new one, which air cooler would you recommend? I overclocked through the bios instead of using any software, would it be better to use software such as AMD overdrive instead of overclocking in the BIOS?

Firstly I never disable any of the power saving features when I am overclocking . I dont want a processor running at full speed all day wasting power and making lots more noise .

IMO use the AMD overdrive software . It will default to 1.4 volts , but thats no problem . Let it run through its tests and work out the safe OC with you new cooler . My FX 6300 clocks to 4.8 Ghz just fine , but even under a large air cooler its noisier than I am willing to accept . At 4.3 Ghz I cant hear it so thats excellent to me .
Im using a Scythe Ninja 3 cooler with a Noctua fan , but many large tower coolers will perform similarly

Once you have a stable OC using software..... and the software just alters settings in BIOS ......... you can go to BIOS and apply the settings manually . For most people though the best option will be to start dropping the voltage . And keep doing that till the system is unstable ... and then add a touch more

For a base level cooler that works CM Hyper 212 is hard to beat . But the sky is the limit really

Solution