AMD FX-6300 overheating, think a new case may help but need advice

MrsHumpy

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
I had to upgrade my motherboard about 12 months ago and due to budget restrictions I went for a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 with AMD FX-6300 processor pre-fitted as I didn't feel confident messing around with thermal paste myself.

The rest of the systems consists of a Antec 700w Power supply, ATI radeon 5570 graphics a Kingston 240GB SSD system drive and a 1TB data drive with 8GB ram.

The system is perfectly adequate for everything I need to do but I have noticed of late that it seems to be smelling rather hot, I downloaded CPUID HWmonitor and it looks like the processors are overheating. I'm hoping the problem is down to my probably outdated case but I don't know a great deal about the best cooling options and would like some advice, unfortunatley price is a huge issue so that needs to be taken into account.

Solution
Only one in the front isn't bad if the PSU sucks out air from the case in the back. With an FX, which get quite hot it might not be enough to prevent thermal throttling. Like st3v30 suggested, first try to run the PC with the case open, hot air can get out quickly. If need place a regular air fan on it to see if it helps. If it does, you can try to get another fan and place to the back or side of the case to let it suck air out near the CPU cooler.

Depends - if there's no airflow then the best cooler in the world won't help.

How many case fans do you have and how are they configured, you need to create positive pressure inside the case, so normally all front / side fans are intakes with the rear one as an exhaust.

MrsHumpy

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

I suspect this is the problem, it's a very old basic case and only has one fan at the front, the only other fans are on the PSU and the CPU, which is why I figured a new case with additional cooling would probably be the solution.

MrsHumpy

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

Only the one at the front, it's a pretty old basic case which is why I figured it probably needs upgrade

Only one in the front isn't bad if the PSU sucks out air from the case in the back. With an FX, which get quite hot it might not be enough to prevent thermal throttling. Like st3v30 suggested, first try to run the PC with the case open, hot air can get out quickly. If need place a regular air fan on it to see if it helps. If it does, you can try to get another fan and place to the back or side of the case to let it suck air out near the CPU cooler.

Solution