Question AMD FX 6300 problems

GHASTECHEN

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Hi peepz
I recently got a AMD FX 6300
The CPU claims to be just working fine, etc
But... When i tried to overclocked it, the PC turns on normaly, and on few minutes it shuts down from nowhere.
I really need help right here
I turned off AMD Cool' n quite and Thermal throttle as well.
Hoping That someone can help me plz :(
My PC specs are:

CPU: AMD FX 6300
MB: ASRock n68 GS FX
GPU: Zotac GTX 1050 2gb
RAM: 8Gb Kingston 1600mhz DDR3
Storage: One SSD A400 120gb from Kingston, and a ADATA SU630 240gb
PSU: Nox Urano VX 650w
Cooler: NOX - Hummer H-240 CL

GHASTECHEN

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Not for overclocking, low end 4+1 VRM design. It will be ok for stock speed. For overclocking you want a medium/high end 970 board or 990 board. At this point I would not spend any money on this setup, even with the best overclock it’s still going to be much weaker than a modern cpu.
There is any relativly cheap motherboard That i can Run This setup até least at 4.0 or 4.3?

There is any relativly cheap motherboard That i can Run This setup até least at 4.0 or 4.3?
Clockspeed alone is meaningless, it doesn’t tell you anything useful and is not a measure of performance.

Did the 6300 run at stock speed? I’d leave that in or go back to the 955. What are you trying to achieve as all these CPU’s are weak by modern standards.

Reactions: Phaaze88

GHASTECHEN

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Clockspeed alone is meaningless, it doesn’t tell you anything useful and is not a measure of performance.

Did the 6300 run at stock speed? I’d leave that in or go back to the 955. What are you trying to achieve as all these CPU’s are weak by modern standards.
I ran it até stock speed, but at some point PC shutted down
I found a https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/fatal1ty 990fx killer/
And its at a good price
For running the FX u think its is reliable?

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
I found a Biostar A780L3G

This motherboard still wont be enough to overclock effectively. I used to have an msi 970 motherboard with an fx 6300 and it would clock to 5.0 ghz (need a good cooler of course) They're $100 new and I'm sure you can find used ones for cheaper.

But I have to agree with sizzling, you're not going to get any noticeable performance increase because the GPU is going to be holding everything back, even if you did have a better graphics card you'd probably get something like a 10% increase in performance overclocking it to 4-4.4ghz.

Your best choice is saving up and building a ryzen 5 2400g system for a little under $400
Here's a list of parts for it:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vW2bsZ

I know you might not have the money for it but you're literally just wasting money trying to buy a new motherboard for that old fx 6300. Save up and buy something like this, it's extremely budget friendly and can run just about any game.

Reactions: GHASTECHEN

GHASTECHEN

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
This motherboard still wont be enough to overclock effectively. I used to have an msi 970 motherboard with an fx 6300 and it would clock to 5.0 ghz (need a good cooler of course) They're $100 new and I'm sure you can find used ones for cheaper.

But I have to agree with sizzling, you're not going to get any noticeable performance increase because the GPU is going to be holding everything back, even if you did have a better graphics card you'd probably get something like a 10% increase in performance overclocking it to 4-4.4ghz.

Your best choice is saving up and building a ryzen 5 2400g system for a little under $400
Here's a list of parts for it:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vW2bsZ

I know you might not have the money for it but you're literally just wasting money trying to buy a new motherboard for that old fx 6300. Save up and buy something like this, it's extremely budget friendly and can run just about any game.
I Will save money for it probably, but meanwhile This Will fit for all the games i play you know?

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
Csgo, GTA V, WRC
Overclocking the cpu will get you like 5 more fps in gta V, probably like 10-20 fps in csgo and WRC, think about it, is spending $60-100 worth that little performace boost? You're much better off saving that money for yourself or saving it towards a system like the one I posted earlier and in a couple months upgrading to that for just $400 and having a pc that will run gta 5 smoothly at 60fps with low/medium settings and over 100 fps for csgo.

Your choice at the end of the day but you are 100% better off saving for a new computer instead of upgrading this old one.

GHASTECHEN

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Overclocking the cpu will get you like 5 more fps in gta V, probably like 10-20 fps in csgo and WRC, think about it, is spending $60-100 worth that little performace boost? You're much better off saving that money for yourself or saving it towards a system like the one I posted earlier and in a couple months upgrading to that for just $400 and having a pc that will run gta 5 smoothly at 60fps with low/medium settings and over 100 fps for csgo.

Your choice at the end of the day but you are 100% better off saving for a new computer instead of upgrading this old one.
I5 6600
Msi Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
2x8Gb DDR4 Gskill Ripjaws V 2800Mhz

I found This for 200€
You think its good?
I dont know but probably Will botleneck with my actual GPU i have, just to BE sure

It is time to stop wasting money on a obsolete FX platform.

$200 will buy you a new G5600 with single thread performance passmark rating of 2258 vs. 1407 for the FX-6300. Single thread performance is what GTA V needs most.
G5600 $100
Intel 300 series motherboard $60
8gb DDR4 ram $40.

You can go up from there.

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
I5 6600
Msi Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
2x8Gb DDR4 Gskill Ripjaws V 2800Mhz

I found This for 200€
You think its good?
I dont know but probably Will botleneck with my actual GPU i have, just to BE sure

It's a lot better than what you have now & you can upgrade your graphics card later if you want but it is also an older platform so later on if you want to upgrade again you'll be stuck & have to change the motherboard, processor & ram together. But 200 is a decent price if that's a fully build computer already, just make sure the case isnt too small so you can add onto it later