AMD fx 6300 & R9 280 VS Intel core i5 4440 & r9 270x

Strayed

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Well...Here you go, i plan to build a new Gaming PC and i was wondering which build would deliver me the best performance and will be more futureproof.

Is the difference between those 2 cpu's as big as to buy a little worse GPU to score a decent performance in Fps and overall playability?

Here are the games i plan to play at some point:

-ArmA III
-Battlefield 3 & 4
-MMORPG'S
-Far Cry 3
-Day z Standalone

I will also be doing other things such as video editing and rendering but nothing so serious.

Solution
that is possible, AMD has a tendency of keeping there sockets active for a lot longer, and there are always upgrades to FX 8XXX and 9XXX series processors. As games are becoming more threaded there is a very good chance that those could become more viable options in the future.

Future upgradability is usually best suited to keep the future upgrades simple (and thus more cost effective) most likely your only processor upgrade option for the intel side will be to a current 4th gen i7 as they will likely never release another compatible processor on the 1150 socket.

However keeping other options lower, cheaper video card, less ram (most people don't use more than 4gb's of ram in a gaming computer only a few games utilize more than that...

angelice

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Well the I5, will give you a better option as far as possible upgrade in the future and such, however for now the FX-6300 with the r9 280 will give you better in game performance for the time being.

Strayed

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014

Hmmmm, seems reasonable, i obviously prefer to have the best performance possible right now but i also care about the future upgrades in the next few years comming, are there any reasonable upgrades on the AMD side comming for the future? I heard something about Steamroller....Will they be avaliable for the AM3+ socket?

angelice

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
that is possible, AMD has a tendency of keeping there sockets active for a lot longer, and there are always upgrades to FX 8XXX and 9XXX series processors. As games are becoming more threaded there is a very good chance that those could become more viable options in the future.

Future upgradability is usually best suited to keep the future upgrades simple (and thus more cost effective) most likely your only processor upgrade option for the intel side will be to a current 4th gen i7 as they will likely never release another compatible processor on the 1150 socket.

However keeping other options lower, cheaper video card, less ram (most people don't use more than 4gb's of ram in a gaming computer only a few games utilize more than that (BF4, COD Ghost's etc.) (the other games you listed will run well on 4gb) by doing so it is very cheap and simple to acquire more ram in the future with no loss, trading a video card in a better video card can be quite cheap, as you can always sell the old one on ebay and get a majority of your original price back.

Typically as the owner of a custom build shop myself I would suggest choose the right processor now, its the most expensive thing to change later. (sometimes requiring motherboard, processor, and ram to be changed out. ) as long as you plan to continue to upgrade this system in the future.

If you however plan to run this system for the next couple of years before upgrading get the better video card, the performance increase will be much more noticeable.

Unless of course your video editing/rendering could possibly become a money maker for you then processor still wins out. Intel decimates AMD in Editing/Rendering.

Hope this help's feel free to ask should you have any further questions about your build, Its the whole reason I got into this field is to help people out finding the right computer for them.

Solution