Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
Setup
--------------------------------------------------
Processor: FX 6300
Graphics: GTX 1660 ti
Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-M Plus
---------------------------------------------------
As I expected to see when getting this card first, I'm experiencing a bottleneck. I got a deal on the graphics card so I decided to go ahead and get it first before getting my processor. I was wondering if 1. Is it safe to overclock the CPU on this basic board, and 2. If it is safe, what would be a good overclock (I'm thinking just like 4GHz) so I can "relieve" this bottleneck issue just a little bit until I get the new processor (I'm thinking on getting an i5-8400 and 16gb of DDR4 Ram). I have a 500-watt power supply which I will also get a better one when I get the new processor. Will this be something I have to deal with until I get a new processor and motherboard or is there something I can do? Any information will help me. Thanks in advance!

PS: Some people say they don't even have to raise the voltage at 4GHz and still get a low temp. I don't want to screw anything up though.

Solution
No chance, don't.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/help-overcocking-amd-fx-8350-on-asus-m5a78l-m-usb3.3359539/

One they replied to earlier. The board has weak power phases & also 500w isn't enough for anything more than a quad core. If you turn two of the cores off it will reduce the power draw, if the bios allows it, and overclocking it would bump the single thread performance a bit however it's simply not worth the risk or hassle on that board. Overclocked the 6300 will pull similar watts to an 8350 the point where the system gets unstable or the board fries it simply isn't equipped to handle it.

Take a look at the sabertooth specs. and you'll see how decked out it is to handle overclocking. Since the fx is...

DavidM012

Distinguished
No chance, don't.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/help-overcocking-amd-fx-8350-on-asus-m5a78l-m-usb3.3359539/

One they replied to earlier. The board has weak power phases & also 500w isn't enough for anything more than a quad core. If you turn two of the cores off it will reduce the power draw, if the bios allows it, and overclocking it would bump the single thread performance a bit however it's simply not worth the risk or hassle on that board. Overclocked the 6300 will pull similar watts to an 8350 the point where the system gets unstable or the board fries it simply isn't equipped to handle it.

Take a look at the sabertooth specs. and you'll see how decked out it is to handle overclocking. Since the fx is obsolete you'd be better off switching to ryzen or an i-series, whatever your preference since a sabertooth 2nd hand is $100-$150 dollars and much of the way to a new system.

Solution

brandontolbert17

Reputable
Mar 15, 2018
No chance, don't.

Take a look at the sabertooth specs. and you'll see how decked out it is to handle overclocking. Since the fx is obsolete you'd be better off switching to ryzen or an i-series, whatever your preference since a sabertooth 2nd hand is $100-$150 dollars and much of the way to a new system.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Thank you though!